AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Envision spending your summer working with energetic colleagues and inspirational leaders, all while gaining world-class experience in one of the most dynamic organizations in the pharmaceutical industry. This is a reality for participants in the CTO Internship Program at AbbVie.
Clinical Trials Operations Development Program (CTODP) Internship Overview
Clinical Trials are required before a new compound can be available for use by patients. A clinical study in human volunteers is conducted to answer specific health questions. Is it safe? Does it work? Is it better than what is currently offered to patients? At AbbVie, Clinical Operations conducts/manages clinical trials and provides therapeutically aligned, scientific strategy and operations management for the planning, execution and reporting of clinical development programs to enable successful global registration and commercialization of drug development projects.
For more information regarding clinical trials, please see our Clinical Trial Homepage: https://www.clinicaltrialsandme.com/
Clinical Trial Operations Internship Program Description
As an AbbVie intern, you’ll participate in a paid, 10-12-week summer program, working on meaningful assignments that have a real impact on our business and patients worldwide. As an intern you will be located at our corporate headquarters in north suburban Chicago. Throughout the summer there will be planned development and networking activities, along with paid housing and shuttle services for eligible students.
AbbVie’s worldwide Clinical Trial Operations business offers you an opportunity to work in one of the following functional areas and collaborate with clinical sites globally:
- Clinical Study Leadership – Clinical Study Leadership works cross-functionally to execute Phase 1-4 clinical research studies. Duties in this rotation include execution of clinical study protocols and process improvements within an assigned core Therapeutic Area (Oncology, Immunology, Neuroscience, General Medicine).
- Data Sciences – Data and Statistical Sciences (DSS) – DSS is accountable for delivery of clinical development’s sole products – clinical data of the highest quality and fit-for-purpose analytics and analyses to support the progress of AbbVie’s development pipeline. Our accountability spans the entire AbbVie portfolio, and our purview includes the entire clinical data lifecycle including development of data collection systems and devices, development of sophisticated clinical and operational analytics, management of clinical data integrity, development of code to support analyses and reporting, and analyses of trial results for inclusion in regulatory submission dossiers. DSS roles are challenging, requiring knowledge of both operations and technology in cross-functional context. Clinical Data Analysts, Program Leads, Digital Analysts, and Total Quality Management Analysts are the cornerstones of the DSS foundation and key to successful collaboration with our many stakeholders.
- Clinical Site Management – Clinical Site Management is an in-house, globally-disbursed organization responsible for the management and monitoring of clinical trials. This enables us to deliver scientifically sound, quality and compliant clinical programs in the shortest possible time for the lowest possible cost in support of AbbVie objectives
- Process & Performance Excellence – PPE provides strategic integrated support for the global Quality processes and learning programs the Development organization utilizes to execute AbbVie’s clinical trials, in partnership with the Development BPO Framework.
- R&D Contracting, Strategic Sourcing – The Strategic Sourcing and Contract Operations group is responsible for contracting for Research and Development. SSCO also works with the business to determine high quality, cost effective single source and preferred vendors.
Past examples of internships have included:
- Auditing a data review for a new drug approval
- Identifying sites and vendors to use to for a new clinical trial
- Create patient dosing material for clinical site use
- Work with members of cross-functional teams (Study MDs, Site Monitors & coordinators) to create new onboarding material
Note that this is not a lab position. Roles are operational based regarding our clinical research. This is not a track or feeder opportunity for medical students (MD or PhD/Postdoctoral routes). From idea to results, we connect science and operations to bring clinical trials to life. For more information, please see our R&D innovation page: http://www.abbvie.com/research-innovation/home.html
AbbVie strongly considers high performing interns as candidates for the Clinical Trial Operations Development Program (CTODP). AbbVie’s CTODP is a two-year rotational program with three separate work assignments. The rotations are carried out in a variety of functional areas within Clinical Operations and its business partners, including Clinical Program Development, Data Sciences, Clinical Drug Supply Management, R&D Contracting – Outsourcing, Clinical Documentation Management, Clinical Compliance, Clinical Standards and Development Training.
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in related discipline:
- Life Sciences (Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry), Nursing, Clinical Research, or related field. Statistics, Data Sciences, Mathematics, or related field
- Completed at least one year of college education before beginning internship
- Must be enrolled in school the semester following your internship
- Must be authorized to work in the US on a permanent basis without requiring sponsorship
- Proven track record of teamwork, adaptability, innovation, and integrity
- Excellent communication, leadership, project management skills, problem solving, analytical skills, and business mindset
- Microsoft Excel or other database experience is a plus
- Cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.