Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
This is a Summer 2022 internship opportunity within the Data, Discovery & Decision Science (D3) Department at Allstate. D3 is responsible for supporting other internal business units with a broad range of data, research and analytical projects. With fast growing team of highly skilled personnel, D3 provides a unique learning environment through formal training curriculum, mentoring, informal everyday coaching and hands-on training. The Business Analytics Consulting (BAC) role uses business and technical acumen to find applications of analytics to solve business problems across the enterprise. The main responsibility of the BAC is to deliver value by providing our business partners with tools, processes, insights and communications that improve their overall analytical capability.
The Business Analytics Consultant Intern position is an analyst position that will use business and technical acumen to assist in the development of analytical processes and solutions. The Intern is responsible for clear communication among business and D3 stakeholders and ensure the project/product is fulfilling all agreed upon criteria when delivered. Additionally, the BAC Intern will be exposed to the ins and out of developing data strategies for predictive analytic applications, fundamental skills of big data, data science and statistical learning methods, and agile delivery methodologies.
The following are the areas of responsibility the BAC Intern will be exposed in some capacity:
- Relationship Management: Understand and ensure collaboration, transparency, alignment and engagement across the stakeholder landscape. Develop communication tools and rhythms that keep the right people informed and aligned to common goals.
- Strategy & Business Consulting: Understand business partner processes, goals, and data environments. Identify where data and analytics can help drive value and influence strategic alignment of D3 and business priorities.
- Program Coordination: Manage and coordinate resources to match the development of data and analytics solutions to business timelines, value goals, and outcomes. Integrate highly complex delivery structures through planning and change management. Help teams identify and resolve challenges.
- Experimentation, Research & Innovation: Keep up with industry and technology developments to identify new analytic tools, methods, and techniques relevant to business needs. Contribute to an enterprise testing mindset, and experiment where possible.
- Data Visualization & Storytelling: Translate data and analytic insights into the language of our business partners. Use technical tools like Tableau and storytelling techniques to connect data and analytics solutions to business priorities for non-technical audiences.
- Technical Support of Analytics Development Life Cycle: High-level analytics/model understanding and design. Basic data set querying, preparation, and manipulation.
- Agile Program Execution: Day-to-day support of activities and stakeholders associated with data and analytics products or solutions, especially in the development and initial launch phases. Utilize tools and methodologies to ensure timely delivery and impact.
- Implementation & User Adoption: Develop and execute change management action plans. Act as a connector and subject matter expert in what it takes to put data and analytics solutions into production.
Allstate Internship Program:
- Target start date: May/June 2022
- 12-week summer internship program
- An attractive compensation package
- Collaborative team environment
- Planned intern activities; including lunches with Allstate officers as keynote speakers
- Volunteer/community service opportunities
- Potential to receive possible full-time employment after graduation
- Currently purposing a Bachelor’s degree. Studies related to statistics/mathematics, engineering, predictive analytics or data science is a plus.
- Possess quantitative and analytical thinking skills
- Experience with analytical tools, such as SQL, R, Python and Tableau
- Ability to synthesize data into meaningful conclusions and recommendations to business clients
- Ability to support routine analysis
- Effectively communicate concepts, tools and techniques
- Ability to perform in a fast paced, dynamic and ambiguous business environment
- Ability to assist data and technical projects
- Exposure to both technical and business partners
- Ability to interpret and measure the impact of predictive models through project experience and training
- Understanding of Allstate’s data and how to access and manipulate
- Ability to execute and implement creative ideas on a timeline, ensuring deadlines are kept
- Communication of project results and status updates to internal and external leadership
The salary for this role will be determined based on the school year you are entering in 2022-2023