Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Data Engineering incorporates techniques from many disciplines, including data acquisition, computer programming, data engineering, software development, high performance computing, and traditional business expertise, with the goal of extracting meaning from data to optimize future business decisions. Individuals in this field should wish to be experts in several of these disciplines and sufficiently proficient in others to effectively design, build, and deliver end to end products to optimize future decisions. Successful individuals demonstrate significant analytic agility, and quickly develop new skills across these disciplines as they evolve. The Data Analytics Engineer role is responsible for working with clients to create scaled out business solutions and/or data using best practices, appropriate tools and software to provide documented, trusted and actionable results. This role requires analytic agility and the ability to quickly learn new techniques and technologies.
This is a 12-week long Summer 2022 internship in the Data, Discovery & Decision Science (D3) department at Allstate. D3 is responsible for supporting other internal business units with a broad range of data, research and analytical projects. With fast growing team of highly skilled personnel, D3 provides a unique learning environment through formal training curriculum, mentoring, informal everyday coaching and hands-on training.
- Utilize multidisciplinary approach to Data Engineering problems to combine technical, analytics and business knowledge.
- Demonstrate high degree of analytic agility to meet fluid and dynamic business needs.
- Break down business problems into solvable components to recommend solutions.
- Use a wide variety of tools and languages to achieve results (e.g., Python, C++, Java, Scala, SQL).
- Rapid development of new data and analytics prototypes.
- Develop and deliver data infrastructure to enable advanced analytics.
- Explore data sources to better understand the availability and quality of data.
- Document available data sources and how they are being transformed.
- Embrace an environment that supports innovation and process improvement.
- Disseminate knowledge across the team.
Allstate Internship Program:
- Target start date: May/June 2022
- 12-week summer internship program
- An attractive compensation package
- Collaborative team environment
- Planned intern activities; including lunches with Allstate officers as keynote speakers
- Volunteer/community service opportunities
- Potential to receive possible full-time employment after graduation
- Currently pursuing a degree in a computer science, mathematics or equivalent.
- Pursuit of a graduate degree is a plus.
- Ability to code and develop prototypes in languages such as Python, C++, Java, Scala, SQL
- Some familiarity with the hadoop ecosystem desired.
- Experience with Bash or Korn Shell Scripting desired.
- Familiarity with statistical concepts and related technology (R, SAS, Matlab) is a plus.
- Demonstrated analytic agility and problem-solving skills.
- Ability and desire to learn new languages and technologies.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Solid written and oral communication skills.
- Desire to share and inform others.
The salary for this role will be determined based on the school year you are entering in 2022