Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Do you enjoy problem solving, quantitative reasoning, and technology? Are you interested in working in a collaborative, friendly environment? If so, we invite you to consider a Summer 2022 internship at Allstate with the Data, Discovery & Decision Science (D3) team! D3 is responsible for supporting other internal business units with a broad range of data, research and analytical projects. With a fast-growing team of highly skilled personnel, D3 provides a unique learning environment through formal training curriculum, mentoring, informal everyday coaching and hands-on training.
In D3, we use mathematical, statistical, and machine-learning techniques to assist in the research and development of pricing and economic models, data-visualization apps, and decision-making tools. We build products and knowledge to help business leaders, agents, and customers make better, data-driven decisions. And we solve cool and complex problems to provide our customers with better value and protection through projects using telematics data, aerial imagery and Natural Language Processing. The Data Scientist role requires Analytic Agility, the ability to quickly learn new modeling/machine learning techniques, programming languages, and see how these ideas can integrate to optimize the business.
This role is responsible for leading the use of data to make decisions. This includes: The coding/development of tools that use machine learning/predictive modeling to make business decisions, searching for and integrating new data (both internal and external) that improves our modeling and machine learning results (and ultimately our decisions), and discovery of solutions to business problems that can be solved through the use of machine learning/predictive modeling.
The following are the areas of responsibility the Data Science Intern will be exposed in some capacity:
- Uses best practices, with limited coaching, to develop statistical, machine learning techniques to build models that address business needs
- Utilizes effective project planning techniques to break down basic and occasionally moderately complex projects into tasks and ensure deadlines are kept
- Uses and learns a wide variety of tools and languages to achieve results (e.g., R, Python, Spark, SQL)
- Collaborates with the team in order to improve the effectiveness of business decisions through the use of data and machine learning/predictive modeling
- Innovates on projects by using new modeling techniques or tools
- Executes on modeling/machine learning projects effectively
- Communicates findings to team and leadership ensure models are well understood and incorporated into business processes
- Reviews and evaluates on appropriateness of techniques, given current modeling practices, to senior leadership
Allstate Internship Program:
- Target start date: May/June 2022
- 12-week summer internship program
- An attractive compensation package
- Collaborative team environment
- Planned intern activities; including lunches with Allstate officers as keynote speakers
- Volunteer/community service opportunities
- Potential to receive possible full-time employment after graduation
- Currently pursuing a degree in a quantitative field (e.g. mathematics, statistics, computer or physical science).
- Pursuit of a graduate degree strongly preferred.
- Ability to solve problems, think critically, and communicate clearly.
- Knowledge of statistical modeling, machine learning, mathematical optimization, and/or data mining
- Experience with programming.
- An understanding of algorithmic scaling and complexity a plus.
- Experience with big-data tools (e.g. spark) a plus.
The salary for this role will be determined based on the school year you are entering in 2022-2023