Note: By applying to this position, your application will be considered for all locations we hire for in the United States including but not limited to: Seattle/Bellevue, WA; Nashville, TN; Austin, TX; Greater Bay Area, CA; DC Metro Area; Denver, CO; Detroit, MI; Greater Boston Area, MA; Greater Denver Area, CO; Greater Los Angeles Area, CA; Greater New York Area; Irvine, CA; Madison, WI; Minneapolis, MN; Phoenix, AZ; Portland, OR; San Diego, CA.
Do you enjoy translating data into actionable insights? Are you excited by the opportunity to troubleshoot features and products at the world’s most customer-centric company? Are you passionate about mining data, developing models, using statistical and visualization techniques, and helping leaders make data-driven decisions? Do you want to be a part of a fast-paced, ambiguous environment and contribute to one of the most visited sites on the Internet?
At Amazon, we hire the best minds in technology to innovate on behalf of our customers. The intense focus we have on our customers is why we are one of the world’s most beloved brands – customer obsession is part of our company DNA. Business intelligence engineers use cutting-edge technology to solve complex problems and get to see the impact of their work first-hand.
The challenges business intelligence engineers solve for at Amazon are big and impact millions of customers, sellers, and products around the world. Our path is not always simple, so we are selective about who joins us on this journey. There is a certain kind of person who takes on this role at Amazon – someone who is excited by the idea of creating new products, features, and services from scratch while managing ambiguity and the pace of a company whose ship cycles are measured in weeks, not years.
Come chart your own path at Amazon.
As a business intelligence engineer, you will/may:
- Build small- to mid-size business intelligence (BI) solutions – data sets, queries, reports, dashboards, analyses – or components of larger solutions to answer business questions with data
- Use well-defined requirements to build a solution that enables effective, data-driven business decisions. Deliver end product on schedule
- Create and populate data structures using one or more schema definition languages (e.g. DDL, SDL, XSD, RDF)
- Write secure, stable, testable, and maintainable code with minimal defects, and automate manual processes where possible
- Use one or more industry analytics visualization tools (e.g. Excel, Tableau, QuickSight, MicroStrategy, PowerBI) and, as needed, statistical methods (e.g. t-test, Chi-squared) to deliver actionable insights to stakeholders
- Invent, refine, and develop BI solutions to ensure they meet the needs of the business and team goals
- Troubleshoot data, analyses, and code, research root causes, propose solutions, and take ownership in next steps for their resolutions
- Currently working towards a Bachelor’s Degree in statistics, computer science, computer engineering, information management/systems, business analytics or other equivalent technical discipline with an expected conferral date between August 2021 – August 2022 and/or completed your degree no more than 12 months ago
- Experience with data querying or modeling with SQL
- Experience with building and maintain basic data artifacts (e.g. ETL, data models, queries)
- Experience with one or more industry analytics visualization tools (e.g. Excel, Tableau, QuickSight, MicroStrategy, PowerBI) and statistical methods (e.g. t-test, Chi-square
- Enrolled in a Master’s Degree or advanced technical degree
- Previous technical internship(s), if applicable
- Experience with scripting language (e.g., Python, Java, or R)
- Knowledge of data modeling and data pipeline design
- Application of basic statistical methods (e.g. regression) for difficult business problems
- Knowledge of how to improve code quality and optimizes BI processes (e.g. speed, cost, reliability)
- Ability to deal with ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills and data presentation skills
- Strong analytical skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
The pay for this position in Colorado is $92,500/year. however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on bonus and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act. Base pay information is based on market location. Applicants should apply via Amazon’s internal or external careers site.