Are you ready to explore a world of possibilities, both at work and during your time off? Join our American Airlines family, and you’ll travel the world, grow your expertise and become the best version of you. As you embark on a new journey, you’ll tackle challenges with flexibility and grace, learning new skills and advancing your career while having the time of your life. Feel free to enrich both your personal and work life and hop on board!
Why you’ll love this job
Commodity managers represent American Airlines in business transactions with both internal and external organizations. They work closely with internal American Airlines customers and stakeholders to understand their business needs, objectives, product/service requirements and the broader operational processes. Responsibilities include creating, negotiating, implementing and managing long term purchase agreements while effectively developing and promoting strategic partnerships with suppliers. Additionally, the commodity manager will measure and track supplier performance for the commodity; resolve and/or escalate issues and identify opportunities for improvement while providing constructive suggestions for change.
What you’ll do
Technical Operations Supply Chain Commodity Manager:
Maintaining a fleet of one thousand aircraft is no mean task. An even bigger challenge: getting parts and services in a timely fashion, where required, to maintain this fleet of aircraft that operates around the clock and across the globe. For the Tech Ops Supply Chain department at American Airlines, it’s all in a day’s work.
American Airlines’ Tech Ops Supply Chain department manages a complex supply chain for aircraft parts and related services; a supply chain that includes manufacturers; repair and overhaul service providers; transportation and logistics providers; warehouses; stores; and distribution centers. Furthermore, the department engages in detailed analytics and financial evaluations to measure the effectiveness and operational impact of the supply chain.
A newly hired Commodity Manager or an Analyst has the opportunity to lead multiple projects spanning one or more phases of the supply chain mentioned above. The Commodity Managers and Analysts help manage this complex supply chain by playing a variety of roles in various Supply Chain teams which can include:
• Interiors & Power Plant Procurement
• Supplier Management
• Material Planning
• Supply Chain Performance
Procurement & Supply Chain (Corporate Purchasing) Commodity Manager:
The American Airlines Procurement & Supply Chain Vision Statement declares “We serve our internal stakeholders by connecting their needs with leading external solutions”. When those solutions include sourcing, contracting and managing supplier relationships for thousands of goods and services around the world, that’s no easy task. But we’re up to the challenge!
The Procurement & Supply Chain team adds value by finding suppliers who provide exceptional quality and service at a competitive cost. Our Commodity Managers are responsible for items which run the gamut from uniforms, furniture and in-flight food and beverages to outsourced airport services, catering services and lounge services. The team works closely with internal stakeholders to meet their needs, collaborating throughout the sourcing, negotiating and contracting process. In this ever changing, “hands on”, strategic position you’ll make a real impact to both the company’s operation and bottom line.
A newly hired Commodity Manager learns about the wide variety of roles on the team, gains experience and understanding of the different processes before joining one of the following groups:
• Corporate Strategy & Sourcing Execution
• Strategic Supplier Management & Results
• Onboard Products & Services
• Continuous Improvement & Financial Performance
All you’ll need for success
Minimum Qualifications- Education & Prior Job Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent experience/training
Preferred Qualifications- Education & Prior Job Experience
- One or more Supply Chain related internships
Skills, Licenses & Certifications
- Knowledge of supply chain concepts, with work or internship experience applying those concepts
- Negotiating and influencing skills
- Ability to be self-directed and resourceful with the ability to handle multiple, simultaneous tasks with exhibited follow through and initiative
- Business understanding, particularly in project management, early supplier involvement, total cost management and financial analysis
- Understanding and use of technical tools for analysis, problem solving, forecasting and quality improvement
- High ethical standards
What you’ll get
Feel free to take advantage of all that American Airlines has to offer:
- Travel Perks: Ready to explore the world? You, your family and your friends can reach 365 destinations on more than 6,800 daily flights across our global network.
- Health Benefits: On day one, you’ll have access to your health, dental, prescription and vision benefits to help you stay well. And that’s just the start, we also offer virtual doctor visits, flexible spending accounts and more.
- Wellness Programs: We want you to be the best version of yourself – that’s why our wellness programs provide you with all the right tools, resources and support you need.
- 401(k) Program: Available upon hire and, depending on the workgroup, employer contributions to your 401(k) program are available after one year.
- Additional Benefits: Other great benefits include our Employee Assistance Program, pet insurance and discounts on hotels, cars, cruises and more
Feel Free to be yourself at American
From the team members we hire to the customers we serve, inclusion and diversity are the foundation of the dynamic workforce at American Airlines. Our 20+ Employee Business Resource Groups are focused on connecting our team members to our customers, suppliers, communities and shareholders, helping team members reach their full potential and creating an inclusive work environment to meet and exceed the needs of our diverse world.
Are you ready to feel a tremendous sense of pride and satisfaction as you do your part to keep the largest airline in the world running smoothly as we care for people on life’s journey? Feel free to be yourself at American.