The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading nonprofit research organization based in Washington, DC, seeks a full-time accounting assistant for its finance program. ACEEE conducts independent analysis and develops transformative policies to build a vibrant and equitable economy that uses energy more productively, protects the environment, and promotes the health, safety, and well-being of everyone.
ACEEE’s organizational culture is collaborative and team-oriented with a strong commitment to its mission. Staff work at an energetic pace within a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment with opportunities for professional growth and development. There is a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work. ACEEE is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion while integrating equity into our research and policy work.
ACEEE is looking for a self-motivated and detail-oriented individual to assist with basic accounting duties and general office tasks.
The accounting assistant works with the finance team and interacts on a regular basis with all staff members to ensure accurate payment and receipt of funds. The position is responsible for managing accounts payable and accounts receivable, tracking various funds, and assisting with other accounting needs as they arise. The accounting assistant will be supervised by the finance manager with oversight from the finance director.
Essential Functions/Major Areas of Responsibility:
· Receive and verify bills
· Prepare and enter bank deposits
· Verify that transactions comply with financial policies and procedures
· Prepare batches of bills for data entry
· Input bills for payment and manage the electronic check system
· Record all checks
· Prepare electronic funds or vendor checks for mailing
· Maintain listing of accounts payable
· Maintain vendor files and file numbers
· Track incoming payments and outstanding receivables from customers
· Work with the ACEEE conferences team, development team, and research teams to track sponsorships and other incoming payments
· Respond to questions from customers and vendors
· Maintain a filing system for all related financial documents
· Ensure the confidentiality and security of all financial and employee files
· Update funders list on a weekly basis
· Reconcile CVENT for conference registrations
· Assist in the preparation of backup materials for the annual independent audit
· Basic knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and nonprofit accounting
· Highly analytical with strong attention to detail
· Strong communication skills
· Team player
· Quick learner with working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word
· Strong social skills
· Superb organizational skills with ability to handle competing deadlines
· Experience with Intacct and Bill.com is a plus
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance preferred or minimum 4 years of accounting experience in lieu of degree.
Preferred Start Date: On or about December 2021. This position is based in Washington, DC.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary range is $39,433 – $59,150 and includes ACEEE’s generous benefits package, which includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; 3 weeks of vacation in the first year and 4 weeks thereafter.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and use “Accounting Assistant” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls or emails about the position.
Please let us know how you heard of this opening.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability. ACEEE is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in its organization and encourages applicants with diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply.