Do you want to use your media savvy, communication skills, and passion to save energy, cut pollution, and help address the climate crisis? Then this job is for you. The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a nonprofit research organization, seeks an experienced communications manager.
ACEEE develops policies to reduce energy waste and mitigate climate change. Its independent analysis advances investments, programs, and behaviors that use energy more effectively and help build an equitable clean energy future.
Collaborative, team-oriented, and mission-driven, ACEEE is committed to fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion and integrating equity into our research and policy efforts. Staff work at an energetic pace in an entrepreneurial environment that offers opportunities for professional growth and development. There is a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work.
Job description: The communications manager oversees ACEEE’s communications on a broad portfolio of critical issues. This person crafts compelling messages that reflect and hone the organization’s strategic vision; works closely with researchers to write and edit blog posts, fact sheets, and other materials; pitches reports and new policy ideas to the media while fielding incoming interview requests; and develops and executes strategies to get expert colleagues quoted in the news on ongoing policy developments. The manager operates with guidance from the senior communications manager but also makes independent decisions.
· Oversees and executes communications efforts, including report releases, on a broad range of energy efficiency issues, including (but not limited to) state and local energy policy, building technologies, transportation, and utility energy efficiency programs
· Manages relations with state and local media, as well as some national media, including outreach and response
· Writes and edits news releases, media advisories, blog posts, and social media updates
· Keeps abreast of energy efficiency news across the country and monitors reporter beat changes
· Works with the Energy Efficiency Communications Network and its campaigns
· Provides media training and counsel to ACEEE staff
· Contributes to ACEEE’s strategic planning, including its messaging
· Provides early-stage communications input on reports.
· Serves as a communications contact for partner organizations and government agencies wanting to interact with ACEEE
Skills and competencies:
· Ability to strategize and manage successful communications efforts
· Excellent writing and editing skills, with the ability to explain complex material in crisp and compelling prose
· Ability to simultaneously work on several ongoing projects and meet competing deadlines
· Proven experience in media and public relations, including strong portfolio of stories
· Experience working in energy policy issues (preferred)
· Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
· Knowledge of communications platforms, including Cision and Hootsuite
Required education and experience:
Bachelor’s degree plus five years of experience (with increasing responsibility) in communications or journalism. Additional years of relevant experience may be substituted for a degree. Preferred location is Washington, DC, but open to remote work.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary range is $67,500 to $84,000. ACEEE’s generous benefits package includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; public transit and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and a brief (1–2 pages) writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org and use “Communications Manager” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls.
Please let us know how you heard of this opening.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability. ACEEE is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in its organization and encourages applicants with diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply.