At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible— and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. Find your place in technology on #TeamAmex.
As part of our diverse tech team, you can architect, code and ship software that makes us an essential part of our customers’ digital lives. Here, you can work alongside talented engineers in an open, supportive, inclusive environment where your voice is valued, and you make your own decisions on what tech to use to solve challenging problems. Amex offers a range of opportunities to work with the latest technologies and encourages you to back the broader engineering community through open source. And because we understand the importance of keeping your skills fresh and relevant, we give you dedicated time to invest in your professional development.
Business Unit/Role Specific Info
Global Infrastructure (GI) team is responsible for administration, operations, and availability of enterprise technology infrastructure, including Cloud, Compute, Storage, Network, mainframe, Middleware, security, database, and Data Center Infrastructure.
This position is a 10-week summer internship. The Infrastructure Engineer intern will assist with the automation initiatives and infrastructure administration, managing life-cycle activities. The focus is on engineering, design and build of critical applications, driving infrastructure in conjunction with problem solving, troubleshooting, performance tuning, and debugging of applications and databases.
- Assist with delivery, administration, configuration, and maintenance of Infrastructure products, platforms, and tools. Actively modernize platforms and applications using current agile practices (dev/ops).
- Assist with the conceptualization, framework, development & delivery of “automation” to deliver routine infrastructure services, self-healing programs, catalogue, and Slack-based self-service capabilities with BOTs.
- Create code for new Software driven Infrastructure & Database capabilities enhancing customer experience, productivity, and overall availability of the systems.
- Manage capacity, performance, reporting and availability of enterprise systems, including threshold based Infra monitoring, alerting, and reporting.
- Assist with infrastructure issue resolution support, including problem analysis, performance troubleshooting, and development of issue circumvention solutions.
- Work well with Infrastructure and Application Engineers and Architects to exploit modern technologies, and assist with engineering of large/complex projects with a variety of components and integration points.
- Learn modern technologies, such as Encryption, Sysplex, Hybrid Cloud, High Availability, Active/Active, mainframe & distributed environment, Python/Powershell Scripting, Java, .NET, IIS, Next-Gen Databases, Virtualization, Compute, Storage, and Networking.
- Participate in brainstorming and discovery exercises to determine new technologies based on research, proof of concept efforts and independent investigation.
- Ensure engineering is consistent with enterprise engineering standards, guidelines and principles.
- Participate in team architecture and engineering discussions and forums.
- Employ technical expertise to help team members overcome technical problems during production outages and solution delivery.
- Ensure compliance with technical, architectural, regulatory, and strategic standards, policies, and procedures.
- Must earn a Bachelor or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field
- Students must have a graduation date between December 2022 and June 2023
- Ability to sufficiently complete coding questions
- Proficient in basic Programming langauages such as JAVA, .NET, Oracle, SQL-Server, Python, and Powershell scripting
- Exposure to Web Portal architectures, Machine Learning, AI, Next-Gen Databases, Cloud, Virtualization, Compute, Storage and Mainframe / Distributed Networking will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge in routing and switching technologies such as Spanning Tree, 802.1Q, Port-Channels, 802.1x, QoS, VXLAN, SVIs and Experience with Multicast
- Moderate knowledge in routing protocols such as OSPF and BGP
- IP knowledge, including TCP and UDP
- Understanding of Security best practices for network design
- Experience with Sniffer/capture tools such as Wireshark
- Experience with router platforms and Layer 3 Switching
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt a message to the appropriate audience
- Strong critical thinking, problem solving, data analysis, and decision-making skills
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law.
For more information, please visit our career website at https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/careers/
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Click here to view the “EEO is the Law” poster and supplement and the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
If the links do not work, please copy and paste the following URLs in a new browser window: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm and http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf