At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible— and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. Find your place in technology on #TeamAmex.
As part of our diverse tech team, you can architect, code and ship software that makes us an essential part of our customers’ digital lives. Here, you can work alongside talented engineers in an open, supportive, inclusive environment where your voice is valued, and you make your own decisions on what tech to use to solve challenging problems. Amex offers a range of opportunities to work with the latest technologies and encourages you to back the broader engineering community through open source. And because we understand the importance of keeping your skills fresh and relevant, we give you dedicated time to invest in your professional development.
Business Unit/Role Specific Info
This position is a 10-week summer internship in Mainframe and Data Center Infrastructure and is responsible for enterprise technology infrastructure including mainframe, enterprise utilities, security infrastructure, and database operations.
The Infrastructure Engineer will assist with the engineering and design of critical American Express mainframe applications and infrastructure in conjunction with troubleshooting, tuning, and debugging of applications and databases utilizing the mainframe platform. The Infrastructure Engineer will report directly to the Mainframe Director of Architecture and Engineering, or the Director of Mainframe Infrastructure Operations, or the Director of Mainframe Application Services.
· Assist with engineering of large/complex projects with a variety of components and integration points
· Actively modernize platforms and applications using current agile practices (dev/ops)
· Interact with business and vendor partners to better understand their objectives, technical landscape and/or how to identify and solve complex problems/issues
· Interact with Infrastructure and Application Engineers and Architects to exploit modern mainframe technologies such as, Java, Encryption, Sysplex, Hybrid Cloud, High Availability, Active/Active and mainframe networking
· Partner with Engineers to define solution requirements, perform coding and/or hands-on technical implementation
· Assist with infrastructure performance and security assessments
· Assist with internal analysis and support to ensure proper escalation during outages or periods of degraded system performance
· Participate in brainstorming and discovery exercises to determine new technologies based on research, proof of concept efforts and independent investigation
· Ensure engineering is consistent with enterprise engineering standards, guidelines and principles
· Participate in team architecture and engineering discussions and forums
· Employ technical expertise to help team members overcome technical problems during production outages and solution delivery
· Ensure compliance with technical, architectural, regulatory, and strategic standards, policies, and procedures
· Knowledge or willingness to learn modern mainframe technologies on z-platforms such as Java, Encryption, Sysplex, Hybrid Cloud, High Availability, Active/Active and Mainframe Networking
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt a message to the appropriate audience
· Strong strategic thinking, problem solving, data analysis, and decision-making skills
· Experience with design and implementation strategies of mainframe and distributed applications
· Must earn a Bachelor or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, Physics, or related field.
· Students must have a graduation date between December 2022 and June 2024
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law.
For more information, please visit our career website at https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/careers/.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Click here to view the “EEO is the Law” poster and supplement and the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
If the links do not work, please copy and paste the following URLs in a new browser window: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm and http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf