You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible— and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. Find your place in technology on #TeamAmex.
As part of our diverse tech team, you can architect, code and ship software that makes us an essential part of our customers’ digital lives. Here, you can work alongside talented engineers in an open, supportive, inclusive environment where your voice is valued, and you make your own decisions on what tech to use to solve challenging problems. Amex offers a range of opportunities to work with the latest technologies and encourages you to back the broader engineering community through open source. And because we understand the importance of keeping your skills fresh and relevant, we give you dedicated time to invest in your professional development.
The Mobile team is responsible for the delivery of new features and capabilities in the Amex Mobile App, used by tens of millions of Amex cardholders across 22 markets globally. The team builds interactive experiences at all touch points of a consumer’s journey whether before, at, or after the time of purchase. Our mission statement is to be essential in our card members’ digital lives by providing convenience, value and delight wherever they are.
Join the team and make an impact right away:
- Identify exciting opportunities for adopting new technologies to solve existing needs and predict future challenges
- Develop software applications as part of a scrum team
- Learn technical skills, write code, conduct code reviews and testing
- Work with Product Managers to prioritize features for new products and manage a list of requirements based on industry trends and new technologies
- Design work, such as user experience or graphic design
- Bespoke learning and development program, e.g. technical, leadership, networking and soft skills
- Take part in social activities, community service events and projects with other Interns and Graduates
- Experience in developing products or projects either in an academic, professional or personal setting
- Some entry level software development experience, specifically in Swift, Kotlin, or Java.
- A strong technical background is beneficial but not required; we are looking for passionate, quick learners willing to take on new challenges
- Up to 2 years of software development experience in a professional environment and/or comparable experience such as:
- Understanding of Agile or other rapid application development methods
- Exposure to design and coding across one or more platforms and languages as appropriate
- Exposure to methods relating to application design, software development, and automated testing
- General Knowledge of distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases
- Understanding of object-oriented design and coding with variety of languages
- Must have earned a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree program in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other technical discipline
- Students must have a graduation date between June and August 2021.
High Performance Behaviors:
- Learns and applies new technologies and techniques
- Demonstrates good analytical skills
- Recognizes the importance of collaboration to achieve objectives
- Clearly communicates ideas and concepts to others
- Manages assigned tasks effectively; acts on own initiative without being prompted
- Able to understand and use complex data structures and associated components
- Designs, codes, tests, maintains, and documents applications
- Takes part in reviews of own work and reviews of colleagues’ work
- Defines test conditions based on the requirements and specifications provided
- Has understanding of the core tools used in the planning, analyzing, crafting, building, testing, configuring, and maintaining of assigned application(s)
- Familiar with infrastructure technologies and components
Technology Skills You’ll Use Every Day:
- Adaptive Communication
- Agile Practices
- Industry and Company Knowledge
- Change Management
- Technical Acumen
- Technology Industry Trends
- Collaboration & Partnership
- Continuous Improvement
- Servant Leadership
Role/Strengths You’ll Need:
- Emerging Technologies
- Programming/Software Development
- Systems Design
- Data Management
- Release and Deployment
- User Experience Evaluation and Analysis
- Analytical Thinking
- Executive Presence
- Business Product Knowledge
- Problem Solving
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.