The State of Arizona General Accounting Office (GAO) is responsible for establishing Statewide accounting policies and procedures, managing the Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS), administering the Statewide Payroll through the Human Resources Information Solution (HRIS), preparing the Statewide Financial Reports, and providing technical assistance and other management advisory services. The General Accounting Office is currently recruiting for several interns.
· Gain an understanding of government fund accounting and the application of Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) principles while engaged in the preparation of accrual basis financial statements for internal service funds.
· Understand the State of Arizona banking process, while assisting with reconciliation efforts for the Health Insurance Trust Fund (HITF) non-sufficient funds (NSF) activity and electronic funds transfers (EFT) coming through our Treasury Department
– Prepare month end journal entries.
– Assist with preparation of financial statements and ancillary reports for ADOA business units.
– Assist with Health Insurance Trust Fund (HITF) collection reconciliation efforts and reconciliation of Department incoming EFT payments.
Final Product or Outcome Expected:
– Produce monthly financial statements for ADOA business units on an accrual basis.
– Reconcile NSF activities for HITF to current and recommend and document a continued process for implementation.
– Reconcile incoming EFT payments from Treasury Department.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs):
– Proficiency with Microsoft products: Excel, Word, and Access
– Understanding of accrual basis accounting concepts
– Strong analytical and problem solving skills
– Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
– Excellent interpersonal skills
Candidate must be in their Junior or Senior at an accredited 4-year College or University with a focus in accounting, and have completed their intermediate accounting coursework. The ideal candidate should maintain a GPA of 3.0 or better. Candidate must have the unrestricted right to work in the US without requiring sponsorship.
This internship will be COMPENSATED and it is up to the discretion of the respective school to provide academic credit. Work schedule will be flexible to coincide with class schedule.