HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered 1) apply on Handshake AND 2) apply at www.bdo.com/careers/students (San Diego Core Tax Associate) as soon as possible.
This posting is for a start date in July 2022. Applicants must be CPA eligible and are planning to complete their education before the start date.
BDO is a place for energetic self-starters who can think and act like entrepreneurs. A Core Tax Services Associate is responsible for utilizing his or her educational background as well as communication and organizational skills by assisting with the preparation of tax returns and research. In this role, the Core Tax Services Associate will be charged with utilizing basic research skills and working with tax software applications to complete simple tax returns for review.
· Ensures both that (a) clients comply with all applicable authorities, while at the same time minimizing their tax and reporting burdens, and (b) self and client service teams comply with all Firm policies, standards, and the BDO Tax Quality Manual (“TQM”).
o Applies understanding of client’s unique set of circumstances, documentation, and/or other requirements mandated by law and prepares required filings (tax returns) using a system of review and documentation to ensure that the client is in full compliance, while keeping the client’s tax and reporting burden’s as low as possible;
o Ensures all data needed to comply with filing requirements are collected; identifies and properly communicates missing items to prepare return;
o Utilizes Firm compliance software to maximize efficiency in tax prep process
o Effectively teams with Senior on completion of project (follow-up with Open items list;
o Documents all significant tax positions;
ASC 740-10 (FAS 109 and FIN 48) Tax Accruals
· Correctly and proactively applies Firm policies, standards, and the BDO Tax Quality Manual (TQM) regarding FAS 109 and FIN 48.
o Assists with prep and/or review of income tax provisions;
· Assists with developing, recommending, and implementing efficient and effective methods to maximize client benefits, especially by decreasing clients’ current and future taxes.
o Applies knowledge of home state corporate, partnership and individual tax structure and filing requirements in completing assigned work;
o Effectively drafts clear and concise general memorandums and correspondence;
o Identifies potential relevant tax issues or opportunities as part of the tax compliance process.
Other duties as required
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Bachelors degree in Accounting or other relevant field required
· Masters in Accountancy or other relevant field preferred
· Leadership experience preferred
· Accounting based internship preferred
· Eligible to sit for the CPA exams upon starting employment required
· CPA preferred
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Other Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to follow instructions as directed
· Ability to work effectively in a team setting
· Takes appropriate actions without being asked
· Seeks advice of appropriate superiors regarding issues related to compliance
· Ability to prepare simple tax returns