Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Business Services provides high-quality business services to support the Lab’s research initiatives by participating in cross-functional teams with a focus on risk mitigation and cost management, which is a critical component to the Lab’s success. Led by the Chief Financial Officer, Brookhaven’s Business Services Directorate includes the Budget Office, Fiscal Services Division, Procurement & Property Management Division, and Business Operations Office. The Directorate manages a broad range of financial activities, including the planning and implementation of the Lab’s fiscal matters and its approximately $750 million annual budget.
As a member of the Nuclear and Particle Physics (NPP) Business Office, the successful candidate is a business professional that will perform a wide variety of financial functions, including budget, analysis, and financial reporting.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide financial support, monitoring and oversight for indirect projects.
- Prepare and monitor budgets, expenses and commitments for assigned programs.
- Prepare current year cost plans including detailed labor plans for the indirect projects.
- Generate monthly reports for distribution or website publication.
- Prepare cost estimates in support of both internally and externally funded proposals.
- Provide financial support for other funded programs within the Directorate, as needed.
- Participate in the development of procedural improvements and problem resolution, as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance/business, or equivalent experience, generally on the basis of 2:1 (experience:college).
- Two (2) years of related work experience.
- Proficient skill level in Microsoft Office products with intermediate to advanced proficiency in Excel as well as experience managing and manipulating large databases.
- Ability to review financial data and prepare meaningful financial reports.
- Ability to work independently, establish own goals (with supervisory approval), and apply independent judgement, within policies and standards, to complete projects and administer processes.
- Flexible team player who is able to interact with scientific and business staff to accomplish objectives and resolve issues.
- Ability to prioritize and effectively deal with deadlines.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Interest in science mission of the Laboratory.
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft and the ability to generate queries and reports.
- Experience with the overall proposal process, including Funding Opportunity Announcements and budget requirements.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs;
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis).
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file