This supervised position is for a college student who is seeking a career in the Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) field to apply their knowledge with regard to regulatory compliance and risk assessment and reporting. This position will require the individual to work a normal office schedule and may include some travel within the United States. This job will be based out of the Houston Corporate Office and will be responsible for the following:
• Support Calpine plants by assisting in EHS report generation, collection of facility compliance data, testing activities,
• Conduct basic EHS site walks at Calpine plants,
• Support regional EHS audit programs, and
• Conduct other activities, as needed.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the essential functions of the job and are not to be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
• Candidate must have a minimum of 30 credit hours and working toward a degree in Engineering, Environmental Science, Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, or other Science major discipline at an accredited college or university.
• Candidate should have general knowledge of EHS laws and regulations preferably associated with power generation facilities. The candidate should have the demonstrated ability to be a self-starter and work independently and in a team environment.
• Minimum GPA 3.0
• Legally eligible to work in the United States now and in the future.
• Good organization skills and attention to details are essential
• Candidate should have proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite programs, strong problem solving skills, and a mechanical, math, and science (Physics and Chemistry) aptitude. Intern must hold a valid driver’s license.
Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment – if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.