ABOUT THIS POSITION
During the current health crisis, the majority of job interviews will be held by video or audio conference. In person recruitment and selection processes will be conducted in accordance with recommended safety guidelines (masks, social distancing, and disinfecting between candidates).
Please be aware that you may be required to undergo screening for symptoms of COVID-19 which may include answering questions regarding symptoms or having your body temperature read as part of this job. You may also be required to wear a face covering or use other personal protective equipment (PPE) related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Street Transportation Department is recruiting for a Temporary Administrative Assistant II – Program Coordinator position in the Street Maintenance Section to serve as a facilitator responsible for the development, and implementation of the Street Maintenance Worker (SMW) Apprenticeship Program. This apprenticeship program is designed to enhance and/or develop the required skills for entry-level employees in the Street Maintenance Division. The Administrative Assistant II -Program Coordinator will work directly with a new, temporary Street Maintenance Supervisor (Safety Training Coordinator), Street Transportation Department leadership, employee union representatives, and the Human Resources section to assess, develop, create, implement and promote the SMW Apprenticeship Program training program. The Administrative Assistant II – Program Coordinator will develop a training work plan and budget, oversee training programs and projects to achieve goals within budgeted funds and available personnel and resources, evaluate program plans, identify future needs, goals and objectives. The Administrative Assistant II – Program Coordinator will collaborate with Department Managers and Human Resources to incorporate federal, state and City policy and other rules and regulations into the development of training. This position will track employee licenses, endorsements, training development, maintain databases to ensure accuracy, notify management of potential problems and/or short-comings, and will produce annual training reports.
The temporary position is intended for the inauguration of the Street Maintenance Worker Apprenticeship Program and this position will be funded through at least June 2022. The effectiveness and position classification of this position is intended to be evaluated before June 2022 and will possibility be made a permanent/regular position in a future budget cycle. The temporary position will have benefits but will not earn city retirement credits or participate financially into the city’s retirement program. If the successful candidate is a current City employee, all benefits will still be applicable, and the employee will still contribute to their pension. Temporary positions are not covered under civil service rules, and thus employment is considered “at-will” and employees may be separated at any time.
This recruitment and any interview process as a result of this recruitment may be used by multiple hiring managers and multiple departments throughout the City to fill any related current or future vacancies; other recruitments and appropriate eligible lists may also be considered.
IDEAL CANDIDATE Will Possess
- Knowledge of Administration of apprenticeship programs or similar employee development and/or training programs.
- Knowledge of Street maintenance field operations, employee safety program administration, or other similar public works industry functions relevant to the operations and maintenance of public infrastructure.
- The ability to analyze, interpret, and report research findings.
- The ability to work under pressure (i.e., handling significant problems and tasks which come up simultaneously and/or unexpectedly and approaching deadlines).
- The ability to produce written documents with clearly organized thoughts using proper sentence construction, punctuation, and grammar.
- The ability to comprehend and make inferences from written material.
- The ability to analyze and interpret policies and procedures to staff.
- The ability to conduct staff meetings, training and group presentations with City staff/management, elected officials and the public.
$55,931 – $85,176 annually. Candidates may be hired above the minimum depending upon qualifications
A comprehensive benefits package is offered which includes traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, or HSA/HDHP plan; wellness incentive of up to $720 annually; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; 401(a) and 457 plans; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement program; paid time off includes 11.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, and 15 sick days and personal leave days. For more details, visit: Unit 7 Benefits
- Bachelor’s degree in public or business administration, or related field.
- Three years of professional experience in public administration or governmental research.
- An equivalent combination of related experience and education may be considered
- The City job description can be found here.
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS – The minimum qualifications listed above, plus:
- Four years of experience in street maintenance activities, public works field experience and/or other civil construction practices.
First review of applications will occur the week of April 5, 2021. Recruitment will close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applications or on April 19, 2021, whichever is sooner.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at https://www.phoenix.gov/hr/current-jobs/ by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- For other important information related to employment with the City of Phoenix, please click here.
- Link to All City of Phoenix Employment Opportunities
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Administrative Assistant II: Job Code 06040, ID# 39126
City of Phoenix employees commit to Work Smart, Spend Wisely, Be Kind.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.