ABOUT THIS POSITION
During the current health crisis, the majority of job interviews will be held by video or audio conference. In person recruitment and selection processes will be conducted in accordance with recommended safety guidelines (masks, social distancing, and disinfecting between candidates).
Please be aware that you may be required to undergo screening for symptoms of COVID-19 which may include answering questions regarding symptoms or having your body temperature read as part of this job. You may also be required to wear a face covering or use other personal protective equipment (PPE) related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The City of Phoenix City Auditor Department is seeking interns to learn and gain valuable experience in the field of performance analysis and internal auditing. The City Auditor Department’s primary service is to conduct performance audits of departments, programs, and contractors citywide. Audit areas include financial operations, management controls, contract compliance, and information systems controls for any City departments, including Police, Fire, Aviation, Municipal Court, Public Transit, and Parks & Recreation.
Interns will work under the guidance and supervision of trained auditors and will perform basic audit tasks.
Interns will work with departments throughout the City, gaining a broad perspective of municipal government and having an impact on how the City delivers services to the public and internally. The City Auditor Department strives to incorporate new technology in our engagements–including data analytics. Work will be performed on-site but could also include working remotely.
Interns must demonstrate initiative, analytical skills, and decision-making abilities, perform preliminary audit work, and develop, implement, and track audit project research. Interns must produce written documents in English with clearly organized thoughts using proper sentence construction, punctuation, and grammar, with the ability to analyze data, identify trends, draw conclusions, and summarize findings.
Assigned duties increase in scope and complexity as the Auditor Intern demonstrates competency and ability to perform such tasks.
Under the supervision of an experienced auditor, examples of duties include:
- Reviewing original or electronic departmental documents, including records, accounts, salary payrolls, journal vouchers, reimbursement claims, and monthly bank reconciliation statements, to determine compliance with Federal, State and/or City laws and regulations;
- Auditing books and records of concessionaires and contractors working under agreements with the City;
- Using spreadsheets or other software to track and analyze records;
- Evaluating the operational efficiency and program results of departments;
- Researching Federal, State and City laws, rules and regulations governing the department to which assigned;
- This internship is a 6-month assignment, working 8 to 20 hours a week.
$17.69 – $19.28 per hour depending on qualifications + Transit Pass. No other benefits apply for part-time positions.
- Must be a Junior or Senior working towards bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, information systems, public or business administration, or other related degree; or possess a bachelor’s degree and working towards a Master’s degree in accounting, finance, information systems, public or business administration, or other related degree.
- Must be able to maintain regular and reliable attendance during core business hours.
- The City job description can be found here
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (Job requirements listed above, plus the following)
- Strong Excel skills and experience with other data analytical software.
- Experience in conducting investigations and interviews.
Recruitment closes April 19, 2021. All materials must be received by 11:59 p.m. on this date.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- For other important information related to employment with the City of Phoenix, please click here.
- Link to All City of Phoenix Employment Opportunities
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.