ABOUT THIS POSITION
During the current health crisis, the majority of job interviews will be held by video or audio conference. In person recruitment and selection processes will be conducted in accordance with recommended safety guidelines (masks, social distancing, and disinfecting between candidates).
Please be aware that you may be required to undergo screening for symptoms of COVID-19 which may include answering questions regarding symptoms or having your body temperature read as part of this job. You may also be required to wear a face covering or use other personal protective equipment (PPE) related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Forbes magazine has named the City of Phoenix as one of America’s top 500 best large employers and the Top 20 best employers in the state. Our business is in the City of Phoenix, which means the work our IT professionals do every day supports residents and businesses in the Phoenix community and have virtually zero travel obligations outside the greater Phoenix area! .
The Information Technology Services (ITS) department provides enterprise-wide information technology to citywide departments. The ITS department is currently hiring for a Red Hat System Administrator in the City’s Unix Support team within the ITS Enterprise Infrastructure Services division.
The Enterprise Red Hat System Administrator is a crucial position responsible for the administration of Enterprise Red Hat Linux servers in the City’s physical and VMware environment.
KEY JOB DUTIES:
- Write and debug detailed UNIX shell and Ansible scripts.
- Create design specifications.
- Analyze and solve a variety of hardware and technical system problems.
- Manage network servers and technology tools in virtualized environment.
- Provide alternate support for other Unix environments such as Solaris and Oracle Linux.
- Monitor performance, maintain and upgrade systems according to requirements
This recruitment and any interview process as a result of this recruitment may be used by multiple hiring managers and multiple departments throughout the City to fill any related current or future vacancies; other recruitments and appropriate eligible lists may also be considered.
The ideal candidate is self-motivated, has the ability to work autonomously or in a team environment, and has a commitment and passion to the success of the team.
$71,926 – $109,470 annually. Candidates may be hired above the minimum depending upon qualifications
A comprehensive benefits package is offered which includes traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, or HSA/HDHP plan; wellness incentive of up to $720 annually; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; 401(a) and 457 plans; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement program; paid time off includes 11.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, and 15 sick days and personal leave days. For more details, visit: Unit 7 Benefits
- Two years’ experience as an Information Technology Systems Specialist involving database management and online telecommunications.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, math, or a related field.
- An equivalent combination of related experience and education may be considered.
- The City job description can be found here.
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS – The minimum qualifications listed above, plus:
- Technical experience implementing and administering a Unix-based operating system.
- Technical experience implementing and administering servers within a virtualized computing environment.
- Technical experience administering standalone and/or virtual servers in an organization with at least 100 servers.
- Technical experience creating design specifications.
- Technical experience implementing and supporting server systems hardware in a multi-segmented, routed, and firewalled enterprise network.
- Experience using enterprise backup and recovery solutions.
- Experience writing and debugging detailed scripts.
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator certification.
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Foundations.
Recruitment closes April 5, 2021. All materials must be received by 11:59 p.m. on this date.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at https://www.phoenix.gov/hr/current-jobs/ by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- For other important information related to employment with the City of Phoenix, please click here.
- Link to All City of Phoenix Employment Opportunities
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Senior Info Tech Systems Spec: Job Code 09570, ID# 39102
KEY WORDS: Red Hat, UNIX, Linux,
City of Phoenix employees commit to Work Smart, Spend Wisely, Be Kind.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.