Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Our Optical Communications segment has recently evolved from being a manufacturer of optical fiber and cable, hardware and equipment to being a comprehensive provider of industry-leading optical solutions across the broader communications industry. This segment is classified into two main product groupings – carrier network and enterprise network. The carrier network product group consists primarily of products and solutions for optical-based communications infrastructure for services such as video, data and voice communications. The enterprise network product group consists primarily of optical-based communication networks sold to businesses, governments and individuals for their own use.
Scope of Position: Candidate will apply advanced mathematical and analytical methods to help OFC Manufacturing solve complex problems and make better decisions.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Identify and define complex manufacturing problems
- Collect and organize data from a variety of sources
- Gather input from workers involved in all aspects of the problem or from others with specialized knowledge
- Examine information to figure out what is relevant to the problem and what methods should be used to analyze it
- Use statistical analysis, simulations and/or optimization techniques to analyze information and develop practical solutions to problems
- Make recommendation regarding the impacts of various courses of action in order to address a problem
- Write memos, reports and other documents to outline findings and make recommendations
- Occasional travel as needed for data gathering, meetings and training; Less than 15%.
- May include occasional international travel depending on project assignment
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40 hours/wk. plus overtime as required to accomplish objectives
Required Education: Bachelors Degree in Science or Engineering field (preferred) AND Masters Degree in Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, Statistics or equivalent.
Required Years and Area of Experience: 1-3 years experience – Industrial Engineering / Simulation modeling
- Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment & Decision Making: Considering the relative cost and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate.
- Mathematical Reasoning: Ability to choose the appropriate mathematical methods or formulas to solve a problem.
- Inductive Reasoning: Ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions, including finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events.
- Deductive Reasoning: Ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Technical aptitude
- Optimization modeling and/or data mining software application
- Strong track record of applying advanced analytics in a manufacturing environment
- Strong interpersonal skills to build relationships with team, corporate counterparts and business customers/suppliers at all levels of the organization
- Comfortable challenging supplied inputs and questioning existing processes
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, meet deadlines, work proactively and independently in a rapidly changing environment
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
Location: Open to any OFC NC pant locations: Hickory, Newton, Winston-Salem Concord, or Wilmington
Are you ready for an exciting career with Corning Inc? Apply today!
This position does not support work authorization sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.