EAG Laboratories is seeking a Scientist to join our SIMS group located in Sunnyvale, CA. Responsibilities for this role include conducting analytical test of organic or inorganic substances. Analyzes and tests new or existing materials to identify their properties and characteristics for the development or improvement of new or existing products. Studies the relationship between chemical and physical properties. Works independently to perform the full range of analytical work, including complex tasks. Solves complex and difficulties problems. Ensures schedule, budget, and performance requirements are met.
Essential Job Functions:
- Applies standard and non-standard techniques, procedures, and criteria to carry out relatively complex analytical work to determine the composition, properties, and/or structure of materials.
- Maintains specified records of test data.
- Prepares reports on analytical results for customers, including interpretation of results.
- Provides technical review for other analysts’ reports.
- Evaluates customer requests, determines testing requirements, and prepares project quotations.
- Is able to perform multiple assignments simultaneously.
- May direct phases of a single revenue-producing project.
- Protects confidential information and proprietary processes.
- Handles customer materials and company equipment in a responsible and efficient manner.
- Is familiar with relevant quality system documents and complies with all system requirements.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Education and Experience:
- PhD degree in either in Physics, Chemistry, Material Science or Engineering with experience in materials characterization and surface analysis techniques and equipment. OR
- BA or BS degree in either in Physics, Chemistry, Material Science or Engineering with three (3) years of industry experience in materials characterization and surface analysis techniques and equipment.
- Experience in analytical chemistry, with working knowledge of characterization techniques: secondary ion mass spectroscopy (SIMS), X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), and Auger spectroscopy, RBS, AFM, XRD, and FT-IR and with semiconductor materials and/or ancillary technical experience is helpful but not necessary.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Strong analysis and judgment skills.
- Able work with minimal supervision, work individually and as part of a team.
- Computer literate, high level of accuracy and detail oriented.
- Must be able to handle multiple functions at the same time.
- Maintain good organizational skills.
- Has no direct supervisory responsibilities, but provides technical direction to support staff, technicians, and less experienced analysts and assists in their training.