Think BIG! … with Farmers Business Insurance Group
Farmers’ Business Insurance Group (BIG) has the luxury of leveraging the resources of a Fortune 500 company, while being a small enough part of the enterprise to operate nimbly. Recently, BIG has taken this to a whole new level by transforming to a Lean-Agile development framework. This has enabled BIG to deliver value to our customers faster than ever before. In modern times, technology has caused a rapid shift in the way companies do business. Here at Farmers, we are embracing this change by taking a customer-centric approach, backed by data-driven insight. One example of how BIG has adapted to the ever-changing insurance market is an innovative partnership with Uber to insure all rides in Washington D.C., Pennsylvania, Virginia, as well as 14 other states!
So whether your passion lies in big data analytics (data science, machine learning, artificial intelligence, predictive modeling), formulating pricing and marketing plans to hit profit and loss targets, or strategic product development to differentiate Farmers in the marketplace and provide a better customer experience, it’s an exciting time to be in BIG!
Farmers believes in the diversity of our employees, ideas, and experiences, and we are committed to building an inclusive culture that represents the communities we serve. We are seeking curious, passionate, and hard-working students from quantitative academic fields to partake in the BIG paid internship program. The program will be highly collaborative and immersive, with interns working on real business problems that can span multiple business units within the complex commercial insurance landscape: Product, Actuarial, R&D, Underwriting, Finance, Operations, Distribution, IT.
But it won’t be all work! BIG Executive leadership will host learning sessions with a small group of interns to discuss career aspirations, and there will be a multitude of social gatherings throughout the summer. Interns will also have a chance to partake in the famous Product Olympics, where everyone in the department competes in team games with a chance to take home the gold!
Interns will work alongside project mentors and weekly sync-ups with project leads will help further contextualize the work. Over the course of the summer, interns will ultimately build a minimum viable product (MVP) and have a “capstone” opportunity to present those findings to the Farmers leadership team.
- 10 week summer internship, 40-hour work week
- Future full-time opportunities may be available for high performers
- Must meet one of the following:
- Rising senior working toward Bachelors (BS/BA) degree in scientific/quantitative field
- Entering final year of Masters program (MS/MA) in scientific/quantitative field
Preferred Skills & Abilities
- Product analysts should have proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and exposure to at least one programming language (e.g., VBA, SQL, Python, R, Tableau)
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to manipulate and analyze data to address and solve business problems
- Willingness to independently learn and make an impact within a team environment
Required job duties are essentially sedentary in nature, consisting of occasional walking, standing, lifting and/or carrying ten pounds maximum.