There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
At General Motors, we embrace the opportunity to think bigger and aim higher. Global Finance is essential to achieving these goals and allows us to maneuver in ways that improve profitability, minimize risk, and pave the way towards greater innovation.
GM Tax, as a part of the team that makes up Global Finance, is currently hiring Interns to join our team! The Tax Internship is a one-year experience developed to help students explore some of the unique career paths tax can offer. Projects expose interns to Tax Accounting, Tax Compliance, Indirect Tax, and even International Tax.
During the year you will spend 40 hours a week with GM employees receiving top-of-the line training and access to industry leading mentorship. You’ll attend group events and interact with senior leaders and diverse teams. Collaboration with people across GM will be a key to your success! As you will also be a full-time student and attending school, we will work together to build a flexible schedule that considers your needs as well as those of GM and our team.
At GM Tax, we are a team of self-starters who take initiative, lead projects, and have strong written and verbal communication skills. During the internship we will encourage you to develop these skills and abilities as well.
We have opportunities in both our Global and Domestic Tax Groups. Interns for both organizations will prepare quarterly and annual tax provisions and gain exposure to SAP and Hyperion for reporting and analytics.
Learn more below about each team and what your day might look like:
In the Global Tax team you’ll partner with senior tax advisors to complete tasks like:
- Supporting timely and accurate filing of tax returns, including quarterly estimates
- Partnering with business units and other departments within Corporate Finance to ensure the accuracy of tax work papers
- Learning about GM Information life management efforts by working with data repositories such as SharePoint and Tax Firm
- Working with a diverse team on cross-functional projects as needed
- Preparing for and supporting requests for federal and state audits
In our Domestic Tax Analysis Group(DTAG) a day in the life may include any of the following:
- Assisting with the preparation of state and federal income tax returns
- Responding to state tax and Internal Revenue Service notices
- Completing informational reporting such as Form 1042 and 8858
- Working with our Tax Documentation repository (SharePoint/Share Drive)
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree in accounting, tax or finance
- Demonstrable interest in tax through schoolwork and/or volunteer or professional experience
- Current Junior or above graduating in December of 2022 or later
- Thorough understanding of basic accounting concepts
- Must be available to intern 40 hrs/week for one year starting in 2021 through 2022
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, takes initiative/self-directed
- Demonstrated leadership in field of study, extra-curricular activities, or service organizations
- Desire to learn diverse accounting and tax skills in a corporate environment
- Evidence of strong character with honesty, accountability, and trust
- Familiarity with using Microsoft Office Products
- Advanced Excel knowledge – pivot tables, VBA, formulas
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and meet goals in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working with VITA is preferred
The median salary range for this position in Colorado is $4,200. Applicable salary ranges may differ across markets. Actual pay will be determined based on experience and other job-related factors permitted by law.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.