There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
The Global Product Development Group (GPD) is looking for innovative Entry Level Software Engineers to help us build state-of-the-art platforms. This rotational program is an early career development initiative for new hires, designed to help them build foundational skills, gain exposure, learning agility and business acumen. This program requires a two-year commitment and consists of four 6-month rotations developing software within the Product Engineering organization. This position while Software in nature is embedded in the Engineering organizations of General Motors.
Software Engineers: Software codes, algorithms, embedded systems, and architect software to optimize controller resources and throughput. This software will run throughout our vehicle ecosystem, so you will be able to do hands on work that can directly affect customers. Understanding Agile methodology.
Types of Rotational Opportunities include:
- Embedded Software Platform Engineer
- Infotainment Software Development
- Vehicle Cybersecurity
- In-Vehicle and Mobile App Developer
- Controls Design Engineer
- Software Test Engineer
- Big Data Analytics
- Quality Software Engineer
- Software Systems Integration Engineer
- Autonomous Vehicle Development Engineer
Software Engineer responsibilities & desired skills:
- Develop software that may run on vehicle controllers, mobile phones, Android-based infotainment systems, or cloud infrastructure
- Convert/interpret algorithms and other required documents into software code
- Design, develop and test feature behavior and interaction between hardware and software
- Develop test cases aligned with requirements in manual and automated test environments
- Perform data analysis and research to assess vehicle feature feasibility
- Participate in Agile and SaFe development activities
- Take part in daily stand-ups, sprint planning and iteration demos
This role offers the following Work Appropriately strategies:
- Onsite: This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
- Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be onsite full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
The start dates for these Entry Level Rotational roles begin in January, June, and July of 2022, please only apply if you are interested in starting your career in 2022.
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in the following fields of study at time of application:
- Computer Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Controls Engineering
- Controls Systems Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Information Systems Engineering
- Graduation dates between December 2020 and June 2022
Preferred skills for all positions:
- Prior internship experience in automotive or technology
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of Engineering Principles
- Deliver new and creative solutions to complex problems
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, takes initiative and is proactive
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability, and trust
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to interpret and share content
- Collaborate with varying degrees of management and other coworkers
- Demonstrate leadership in field of study, extracurricular activities, or service organizations
- Experience with programming languages such as Python, C++, Java, etc.
- Efficient use of MATLAB/Simulink
- Demonstrated algorithm generation and connection to physical requirements
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.