W.W. Grainger, Inc. is a business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair, and operating (MRO) supplies, and other related products and services. More than 5 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products in categories such as safety, material handling and metalworking, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 4,500 suppliers provide Grainger with 1.5 million products stocked in the company’s distribution centers (DCs) and branches worldwide. Grainger employs nearly 23,000 team members across the globe. At Grainger, we’re committed to our purpose – We Keep the World Working. Grainger is a Fortune 500 company and a perennial member of Fortune magazine’s Most Admired Companies list.
Internship Program Overview
The Grainger internship program is currently based in our Lake Forest corporate headquarters. Not only do we provide a great experience as far as projects, but throughout the program we offer opportunities for learning sessions with our Executive Leadership Team, a tour of our local distribution center, professional development sessions, cross-functional team building and social activities. Throughout the summer, interns receive performance reviews with their manager, which is a great opportunity to learn and grow your skillsets. At the end of the summer, interns also provide a final presentation to their department leadership team about their project and recommendations for the future.
In addition, Grainger’s internship is paid throughout the summer along with providing paid housing for those interns who live outside a 30-mile radius from the office where their project is based. At this time, we plan for our 2022 internship program to take place in-person. However, we are actively monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic and will take all necessary steps to ensure team member safety.
We believe our internship program is a great experience and an amazing opportunity for students to learn, grow, network and have fun! Grainger also places a strong emphasis on recruiting top internship talent for full time opportunities where available.
Reporting to the Manager, Customer Information Research, the Customer Information Research Intern will use standardized research processes to enhance Grainger’s understanding of our customers. They will work with Customer Information Analysts, Process Engineers, Technology Developers, and Business Leaders to eliminate process waste, use scale opportunities, improve activities, and automate routine work. By making applicable customer information available, we help Grainger market, sell, and provide the best products and solutions that meet the needs of our customers.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Curate and supplement customer information for all of Grainger, through online research, with an emphasis on identifying qualified prospects and segmenting Grainger’s current customers
- Contribute to development and continuous improvement of standard research processes
- Implement processes that create customer information, e.g. conducting online research on customers to confirm which industry a location is in
- Contribute to quantitative analysis – with support, write SQL and conduct exploratory data analysis
- Present and defend work with peers
- Develop an understanding of the US MRO market – what customers exist in which industries, and how attractive are they to Grainger?
Preferred Education & Experience
- Good communication and business writing skills
- Strong analytical, decision making and problem-solving skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, SPSS, SQL, or Teradata
- Preferred education background in Finance, Economics, Statistics, Business Administration, or related field
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Statistics, basic data visualization and analytics tools such as: Tableau, SQL and/ or R/Python
- Desire to develop technical and quantitative skills
- Previous background in online research
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.