At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM is a global cognitive and cloud company changing the way the world works. We foster a culture of creative, innovative thinkers; people who are curious about how technology can transform businesses and impact the world. Our consultants are part of IBM Services where we engage with clients across every industry to deliver technology-driven solutions. We cultivate a diverse, inclusive, global team of people who want to pioneer, reimagine and disrupt the future. We’re driven to stay ahead in the marketplace and enhance our relevance to be essential to our clients, and this begins with our talent.
You analyze and organize the data needed and work closely with data scientists to query data in order to uncover the stories hidden in data and find patterns in the numbers. As an Associate Data Engineer, you’ll help gather and collect data, store data, and perform batch processing and real-time processing.
You’ll work closely with other teams to determine what data management systems are appropriate and which data are needed for analysis. As an Associate Data Engineer, you’ll be able to wrestle with and help solve problems associated with database integration and messy, unstructured data sets.
Work you could do as an Associate Data Engineer:
• Implement and validate predictive models as well as create and maintain statistical models with a focus on big data.
• Communicate with internal and external clients to understand and define business needs, providing analytical solutions.
• Use leading edge tools such as Linux, SQL, Python, Spark, Hadoop, Java, and Cloud Vendors such as AWS, Azure, etc.
• Work in an Agile, collaborative environment, partnering with other scientists, engineers, consultants and database administrators of all backgrounds and disciplines to bring analytical rigor and statistical methods to the challenges of predicting behaviors.
• Build teams or writing programs to cleanse and integrate data in an efficient and reusable manner, developing predictive or prescriptive models, and evaluating modeling results
• Communicate results to technical and non-technical audiences
About the Client Innovation Center (CIC):
• The IBM Client Innovation Center is an in-bound delivery model where we support our clients from our Lansing center
• Some travel is expected, and all candidates must be willing and able to travel to meet our client needs across the US. Travel is typically related to knowledge transfer and training at the client site. You are expected to travel up to 50% of the time.
• You must live in, or be willing to relocate to Michigan once our offices reopen permanently (currently, many IBM offices are working remotely due to Covid)
• Our motto: Right Time, Right Place, Change the World.
START DATES AVAILABLE AS EARLY AS JANUARY-JUNE 2022
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Proficient at least one of the statistical programming languages such as R, Python, Scala or SAS, SPSS, Matlab.
- Strong technical and analytical abilities, a knack for driving impact and growth, and some experience with programming/scripting in a language such as Java or Python.
- Great at solving problems by looking at things differently, debugging, troubleshooting, and designing & implementing solutions to complex technical issues.
- Thrive on teamwork and have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong fundamentals in Mathematics and Computer Science (algorithms)
- Some knowledge of Design Thinking and Agile Development Methodologies
- Basic understanding of Cloud (AWS, Azure, etc)
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Cognitive Science Artificial Intelligence or Computer Engineering.
- Proficient in SQL, PL/SQL, Database Systems, Tableau, Power BI, ETL Tools (Informatica, DataStage)
- Basic knowledge of predictive/prescriptive modeling skills