MANAGER – ENGINEERING & MONITORING SYSTEMS
IDinsight is hiring a full-time manager (4+ years of relevant experience) to grow our monitoring systems and broader software development capabilities. In this role the manager will oversee IDinsight developer teams while working with clients and IDinsight project teams to define software solutions and ensure high quality project delivery. The manager will also work closely with the Director of Engineering & Monitoring Systems to shape the operations of this fast growing team within IDinsight. In this role you may lead developer team standup meetings to build a data system aimed at getting high quality socio-economic data to policymakers, engage with monitoring & evaluation staff at an NGO to understand data management pain points in their on-the-ground operations, or work closely with IDinsight senior leadership and client development leads to define how we communicate our service offerings to potential clients.
We are a social-impact oriented organization, so can guarantee meaningful work tackling some of the world’s most complex international development challenges around the world.
Grow as a manager while doing meaningful work
We are working to build IDinsight into a global leader in the use of innovative data tools to solve some of the world’s most urgent problems.
You’ll be joining a growing engineering team and working on highly impactful and innovative projects with our partners. You’ll be joining an entrepreneurial team where you have a strong voice in how the team functions and grows. To be effective, software solutions need to be contextually relevant and build on subject-matter expertise. You will get to work closely with our partners, our team of developers, data scientists, economists, social-sector experts, and public health specialists to shepherd the design and implementation of solutions.
Learning is a key part of being a manager. 10% of your time would be dedicated to learning new skills and side projects of your choice. You’ll have strong mentorship to guide your career and you’ll have the opportunity to make interesting and valuable connections.
About the Role
We are seeking candidates with a strong background in managing agile software teams, and a passion for building solutions to difficult social problems. Most importantly, successful candidates should possess the ability to lead teams solving complex challenges, both human and technological.
As a manager, the day-to-day work may include:
- Leading meetings and removing blockers for IDinsight developer teams.
- Leading the sprint planning and retrospective process.
- Creating and managing project work plans and budgets.
- Communicating with IDinsight project teams and clients on software planning and execution.
- Reviewing team deliverables for quality control.
- Producing materials for client development and fundraising.
- Working with the team leads to refine the project lifecycle and how we manage the team.
- Mentoring IDinsight junior team members and other managers.
Professional development for our staff is essential for IDinsight’s long-term impact. With support from IDinsight leadership, the employee will maintain self-directed professional development plans and will be given “stretch” opportunities designed to strengthen their professional skills. Real-time feedback and structured reviews are regularly provided to maximize each data team member’s expertise. IDinsight’s entrepreneurial culture allows roles and career progression to be tailored to individual strengths, interests, and goals. Employees have the opportunity to increase responsibilities, and high performers will have the opportunity to move up in the organization along technical, managerial, or client-facing paths.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 4-10 years relevant work experience, including managerial experience in a developing country.
- Experience managing software development teams, such as serving as a product manager.
- Experience using agile principles and tools in a management context.
- Understanding of the software development lifecycle and related concepts such as version control, testing, and continuous integration/deployment.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
Other required qualifications
- Proven ability to work alone and with teams in a dynamic, multicultural environment.
- Passion for improving lives through evidence-informed policy.
- Outstanding interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English. Fluency in languages spoken in countries where IDinsight works is a plus, particularly Hindi or French.
- Strong values aligned with IDinsight’s stated values.
- Ability and interest in sharing knowledge, mentoring others, presenting work and reviewing the work of others.
- Deeply passionate about global development and improving lives in disadvantaged populations.
- Open-minded self-starter who will thrive while tackling new, unusual and unpredictable challenges.
The most competitive applicants will also have experience in one or more of the following:
- Advanced degree, preferably in public policy, economics, public administration, business, engineering, or computer science.
- Writing clean code in a production setting.
- Writing user- and developer-facing documentation for software projects.
- Designing architecture for software systems.
- Managing cloud infrastructure using a hosting service like AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Familiarity with user research methodologies.
- Experience managing budgets of large scale projects or P&L for a business unit.
The position is located in New Delhi, India, with travel dependent on project needs.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, we are currently “working from home” globally. As such, successful candidates would be expected to work from home until it is possible to safely and responsibly work from an IDinsight office.
Compensation is commensurate with relevant experience and background, and competitive within the social sector. Please note, as a non-profit, we are unable to provide compensation similar to leading technology firms.
The start date of this position is flexible, although there is the potential to start almost immediately. We expect a minimum two-year commitment, with regular professional development conversations and potential for a long-term career at IDinsight.
Applications should include three references, including email, phone, and title. Briefly state in what capacity you worked with each reference.