Job Summary: Dismantles and performs electrical testing and mechanical inspection to facilitate repair of a variety of AC/DC electric motors, generators and other electromechanical equipment. Re-assembles equipment following established work instructions and or industry best practice. Conducts final inspection, testing, and assembly as required to ensure rebuilt equipment is reliable and meets the required repair standards and or customer specifications. Conforms to all applicable environmental and safety requirements.
Job duties and Responsibilities:
- Read job cards to determine: job status, work authorizations/limitations, description of problems, and/or expected serviceability.
- Safely operate material handling equipment as necessary including overhead cranes and forklifts.
- Refurbish and repair of rotating electrical apparatus.
- Use of precision measuring devices to determine mechanical condition.
- Operate specialized repair and testing equipment as needed.
- Remove and replace shafts, bearings, gears, seals and other components, referring to work instructions, blueprints or service manuals as required.
- Dynamic balancing of armatures or rotors.
- Assemble, align and or adjust parts to close tolerances.
- Test run rebuilt equipment to verify operation and performance.
- Record and maintain all applicable QA/repair documentation in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Daily use of PPE including safety glasses, hearing protection, steel toed safety shoes, respirator, face shield.
- Daily use of air tools (impact wrenches, die-grinders, blow guns), overhead cranes, and pressure washer and/or solvent based cleaners.
- Assist other mechanics or other shop personnel in skilled or non-skilled duties as directed by supervisor or shop manager.
- Comfortable with operating computers.
- Capable of operating hand, power and specialized tools.
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Team player and willing to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills.
- Must be willing to work overtime, weekdays, and or weekends to meet customer service requirements.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Able to wear required PPE
- 1 to 2 years of repair experience related to AC/DC motors/generators.
- Prior experience working as a Machinist, Mechanic, or Millwright or other applicable skilled trade.
- Experience with rigging and lifting heavy loads, and operating overhead cranes.
- Ability to perform field service at customer sites.
- Forklift experience.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- This position is very active and requires standing, walking, climbing, crawling, bending, stooping, crouching and climbing at times.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move items up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance, vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Able to work at elevated heights
About L & S Electric, Inc.
We are a 3rd generation, family-run company focused on delivering results to customers who produce power or use it to drive their business. Our roots date back to the 1950’s in a small electric motor repair shop in Central Wisconsin.
Today, the services and products we provide at L&S have become substantially more diverse compared to our humble beginnings. L&S repair facilities service over 10,000 pieces of equipment each year in industries ranging from industrial customers to power producers to transportation, and everything in between.
At L&S, we proactively support our customer’s equipment through predictive and preventative maintenance. Our power service team stretches across the US and services and maintains our customer’s critical power distribution equipment. We are one of the US’s largest distributors of electric motors, drives and power distribution, and related equipment. And our Power Control Solutions team designs and manufactures integrated solutions for power producers worldwide.
Although we have grown, our focus has not changed. We are driven to have a team that is passionate about providing quality products and services to our customers, with legendary service.
Learn More About L&S:
All offers for employment are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. L&S will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state, and Federal law.
L & S Electric, Inc is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.