Intern/Co-op – Supply Chain (Summer 2022)
Marathon Petroleum Corp. (MPC) offers internship and co-op opportunities to high-performing college students who want meaningful hands-on experiences in their fields of study. The following core values guide MPC’s approach to doing business: health and safety; environmental stewardship; integrity; corporate citizenship; and diversity and inclusion. Interns and co-ops work side by side with experienced professionals as contributing members of diverse work teams who create value for the company’s shareholders. MPC believes that how we conduct our business is just as important as the bottom line.
As an intern with MPC, you will be assigned to work in either a procurement or material control capacity. In both roles, you will develop an awareness of MPC’s commitment to high ethical standards, environmental stewardship and employee safety. You will also work to establish and maintain rapport with suppliers as well as MPC’s employees and management. Based upon location and organizational assignment, each role as outlined below, allows the intern to take on a number of challenging and exciting responsibilities.
- Develop a knowledgeable background regarding MPC’s policies and procedures related to procurement, contracts, and materials management
- Develop an understanding of MPC’s category management, contract management and supplier diversity processes
- Become familiar with the materials, equipment, and services procured for the operations of MPC’s components
- Play a hands-on role in the purchasing of indirect goods and services
- Engage in cross-functional category management activities
- Gain an understanding of market and spend analysis
- Prepare and analyze bid packages
- Negotiate contractual terms and commercial issues
- Complete projects and tasks related to inventory control, transportation, and logistics
Material Control Responsibilities:
- Develop an understanding of MPC’s terms of stock and non-stock material inventories including material control, warehousing, and logistics
- Become familiar with MPC’s policies and procedures related to inventory control, warehouse management, and inventory accounting
- Develop competency in use of inventory control systems
- Assist with inventory consolidation and reduction projects
- Review and set up new warehouse inventory
- Complete total cost of ownership reviews
- Work to implement reorder optimization
- Provide project and turnaround support in staging and tracking inventory
- Grant approval of re-supply requirements and daily cycle count reconciliation
- Engage in projects and tasks related to logistics, scrap/surplus materials, and Warehouse Management Technologies
- Desired Majors: Bachelors in Purchasing, Supply Chain Management, Industrial Distribution, Integrated Supply Management, and/or Logistics.
- Strong academic performance
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the US on a full-time indefinite basis without the need for employment visa sponsorship now or in the future.
- Positions are available summer
- Concurrent enrollment in a degree seeking program throughout duration of experience
- Military experience a plus
We hire for the following locations:
- Corporate: Findlay, OH and San Antonio. TX (Corporate Refining, Transportation & Logistics, Process Systems, and Supplier Diversity & Corporate Support)
- Refineries: Catlettsburg, KY; Garyville, LA; Robinson, IL; St. Paul Park, MN; and Texas City, TX (Galveston Bay)