About This Job
Join the New York Life Group Benefit Solutions Team as a Full- Time Underwriting Analyst!
As part of our Group Benefit Solutions Underwriting team, you will have a direct impact on the financial results of our business while helping us deliver on a longstanding commitment of providing financial protection and peace of mind to the millions we serve. As an Underwriting Analyst, you will develop skills across several business competencies including:
- Assess the risk of prospective and inforce clients to underwrite insurance policies within Group Benefit Solutions product portfolio: Life, Accident, Disability, and Absence Administration.
- Effectively communicate price, profitability, and risk profile of opportunities with internal matrix partners
- Contribute directly to company financial goals through daily client level risk assessment decisions while balancing and maintaining favorable financial outcomes at a broader book of business level
Collaboration & Consultation
- Actively partner with other underwriting team members to quickly and effectively solve problems both internal and external to Group Benefit Solutions Underwriting
- Negotiate with matrix partners to find creative and collaborative solutions that create long-term value for both our clients and our organization
Professional Development & Leadership
- Active engagement and involvement in the initial underwriting training program over the course of your first year with Group Benefit Solutions
- Responsibility for continuous learning and development through both structured and non-structured learning opportunities beyond year one in the role
- Develop a growth mindset that embraces challenges, quickly learns from and applies feedback, and finds lessons and inspiration from the success of team members
Time & Priority Management
- Act with a sense of urgency to meet assigned deadlines for specified tasks
- Ability to use sound judgement when prioritizing several tasks at once
What You’ll Do
As a Full-Time Underwriting Analyst at New York Life Group Benefit Solutions, you can expect a structured start to your career that includes a foundational training program consisting of 2-3 sessions during your first year. Below is a sample timeline of what you can expect in year one and beyond:
Your First Year
- Participate in structured training sessions through our Underwriting Training Program that focuses on technical training as well as professional development opportunities. These sessions will consist of both classroom and hands-on learning opportunities that establishes a solid foundational knowledge of underwriting concepts and principles.
- Following each session, you will apply the concepts and principles learned in the program by working on active business opportunities that will become larger and more complex opportunities alongside your mentor as you continue to work towards greater independence in your daily work and decision making skills.
After Your First Year
- You will have completed the foundational training program and will immediately begin directly contributing to our business goals and results as an Underwriter. You will be assigned to support a Sales Region, manage an inforce book of business, and own more and more of the daily decision-making process.
- While the foundational training program is completed, there will continue to be training opportunities for you to enhance your underwriting knowledge through organizational Group Benefit Solution training sessions as well as manager and mentor coaching and feedback.
- In addition to your core Underwriting responsibilities, there also exists many project opportunities that will allow you to engage with and build a network of peers both within Underwriting and across other New York Life departments.
Where You’ll Work
The Underwriting Analyst position is located in the Phoenix Underwriting hub. The Phoenix hub is located at the High Street Plaza near Desert Ridge Marketplace. The Phoenix hub is one of our fastest growing NY Life Group Benefit Solutions Underwriting hubs. Our team includes a diverse group of talented individuals with a variety of backgrounds and experience levels. Over the last five years, we have continually grown our Phoenix team through on campus recruiting efforts at several local universities.
To join our dynamic team as a Full-Time Underwriting Analyst, you should have:
- A bachelor’s degree; majors or minors in one of these concentrations is preferred, but not required: Risk Management, Economics, Finance, Accounting, Management, Mathematics, Business
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- 3.0 GPA or higher preferred
- High comfort level with math/numbers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A passion and dedication to becoming a leader within the financial services industry
- Strong business acumen along with leadership and innovative thinking skills with a focus on customer-centricity