A Day in The Life
As a Market Analyst, you will be assigned to one of seven commodity groups in Marketing including Coal, Chemicals, Metals & Construction, Agriculture or Paper, Clay & Forest Products, or Intermodal/Automotive. Our marketing team is responsible for maximizing profitability of existing business levels, developing new business, and maintaining and growing relationships with our existing customer base. As a member of this team, you will support Norfolk Southern in developing comprehensive market analyses and plans. As a market analyst you have the opportunity to work directly with Fortune 500 companies to expand our business portfolio and business to business relationships. Your quantitative analysis will be used to support Norfolk Southern’s business review and forecasting processes, business development and operating metrics.
- Provide accurate revenue analysis, volume forecast, as well as supplemental analyses including data on macro-economic trends and drivers within NS’ markets.
- Participate in high-functioning teams that craft and deliver presentations.
- Conduct research studies that will provide the team members and senior management with actionable business intelligence.
- Develop or improve on pricing strategies while maintaining customer satisfaction
- Identify problem areas and generate solutions that impact the growth of your business
- Solid interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with your team, leadership, and your customers.
- A self-starter willing to learn his or her commodity, external factors influencing the pricing of that commodity, and interact with industry experts.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data to provide innovative solutions
- Understanding of external factors that influence pricing
- Eagerness to learn how the railroad operates from top to bottom and expand your knowledge/ perspective
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree
- Preferred Majors: Economics, Management, Finance, Marketing, International Business, Statistics, and majors in a similar field of study will be considered
- Proficient in MS office with an emphasis on Excel
Project Career Path
Market Analyst – Assistant Market Manager – Manager Marketing – Senior Market Manager – Director Marketing
New Headquarters – Atlanta, GA
Norfolk Southern is in the process of constructing a vibrant & modern corporate HQ in Midtown Atlanta, GA. Our HQ is scheduled for completion in the summer of 2021. To check out a sneak peek, we’ve linked a playlist below.
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is a Fortune 300 organization and one of the nation’s premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 19,500 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers.
We are a team of more than 20,000 employees working together to maintain our reputation as “The Thoroughbred of Transportation.” As an industry leader, Norfolk Southern offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
At Norfolk Southern, we believe in celebrating our individuality. By leveraging the unique backgrounds and viewpoints of our employees, we can create a culture of innovation, respect, and inclusion. We know that employees thrive in a workplace where differing viewpoints, ideas, and experiences are freely shared and valued. As such, we encourage all employees to contribute their distinctive skills and capabilities to our organization.
Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation and, gender identity. Together, we power progress. More information can be found at NS-EEO