Transportation Operations Supervisor
Interested in seeing what it is like to be an Operations Supervisor at Norfolk Southern? Copy and paste the following link in your browser for a 2-minute video
As an Operations Supervisor you will be provided with leadership and railroad operations training to launch your career in the fast-paced, exciting career in operations management. The average duration of training will last approximately around 8 months. As an Operations Supervisor, you will learn railroad operations in preparation for supervising conductors and locomotive engineers at a rail terminal or a road territory. To ensure you are set up for success and can fulfil all the job requirements, our Operations Supervisors must complete a 6-week conductor certification course to receive hands-on experience and exposure to our operating environment.
A supervisor is responsible for leading a team of employees to safely and efficiently conduct train operations. This includes servicing local rail customers and inbounding and departing of trains. The expectation of working as a Transportation Supervisor includes an all around the clock business, so prepare to work a non-traditional schedule that includes 50+ hour work weeks, and non-traditional and/or rotating days off. You will also be working in various weather conditions which may or may not consist of heavy wind, hot weather, heavy rain, snow, and sleet. In this “boots on the ground” position, expect to spend time in rail towers, dispatch centers, and even riding trains. As an Operations Supervisor, you will be an integral part of moving freight safely and efficiently to our customers, which is our number one priority and the key to success at Norfolk Southern.
Skills & Abilities:
· Leadership abilities
· Problem-solving and decision-making skills
· Ability to communicate effectively and build relationships
· Motivated, self-starter
· Flexibility in a dynamic work environment
· Commitment to leading a safe operation
What to Expect in the Work Environment?
The nature of our industry requires a supervisor to be on the job nights, weekends, holidays, and on-call. Supervisors will perform their duties both indoors and outdoors. It is common for supervisors to relocate to different rail terminals across our system for additional opportunities.
· There is a lot of bending, kneeling, crouching, climbing on/near equipment
· You will be standing and walking over uneven terrain
· Successful completion of the conductor certification is required
· You will be responsible for supervising Agreement (union) employees
· Train rides
· Rule incidents and injury investigations
Benefits of Working with NS:
· Relocation may very well be involved in growing within the company (we do provide a relocation package)
· Bonuses include annual raises and salary bonuses (based off performance)
· Full healthcare day one of employment
· Pension and 401k plan
· PTO with the addition of 10 holidays
Education / Experience
· Bachelor’s/Master’s degree
· Preferred Degrees: All majors considered
· In lieu of a degree: Multiple years of leadership experience from industries such as military, manufacturing, transportation logistics, or other similar industries.