Entry-Level Client Services
Northern Trust Client Services roles primarily work with our Corporate & Institutional Services group within Asset Services which range from opportunities in Investment Operations Outsourcing, Transfer Agency, the Investment Management Liaison Group, and Custody. Other Client Services roles at Northern Trust are within our Hedge Fund Services department. These roles are middle and back office operations positions that serve our clients utilizing a variety of resources and applications, providing world-class service to those we partner with. See detailed department descriptions below.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Acts as the primary contact for investment management firms on domestic and/or international trade communication and settlement issues relating to client accounts held at the Bank.
- Coordinates daily with investment managers regarding client account activities. Informs managers of any exceptions and proposed steps for resolutions.
- Identifies service efficiency enhancements, process improvements, and service delivery using creative and proactive measures.
- Researches and resolves processing inquiries and prepares correcting entries including reversals and rejects.
- Expected to use initiative but will refer more complex problems to supervisors/experts.
- Works effectively as a team member but also independently.
- Knowledgeable of the core aspects of the job.
- Working towards becoming proficient in all areas of the job.
- Good verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Basic securities industry knowledge is preferred.
- Analytical and problem solving skills are required.
- Organizational skills are required to manage conflicting priorities and multi-task functions in a fast-paced team environment.
- A College or University degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics and/or related area of study with an expected graduation date December 2021 through Summer 2022 (Start dates will be June/July 2022).
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Applicants must not now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status to work in the United States
Asset Services – Investment Outsourcing Operations (Chicago)
The Investment Outsourcing Operations (IOO) solution provides middle office operations efficiently so that asset management clients can concentrate on their core business. We offer a degree of customization, complexity, and associated intellectual property considerations when addressing middle office operations concerns.
Asset Services – Transfer Agency (Chicago)
Sitting within our Asset Services team and aligned with Fund Accounting, Fund Administration, and (where applicable) Custody operations team, the Transfer Agency (TA) group is responsible for maintaining the investor registers of our customers, opening new accounts, and processing investor transactions and account maintenance. We pride ourselves in being able to support multiple fund types across multiple jurisdictions, with processing performed via fully integrated image and workflow systems.
Asset Services – Custody/Investment Management Liaison Group (IMLG) (Chicago)
The Investment Management Liaison Group (IMLG) provides support to Investment Managers and clients globally directing focus on three main areas: Investment Manager Client Servicing, Relationship Management, and Technical Support. On the Client Servicing side, we are focused on the daily client servicing needs of our third party and internally managed Investment Managers. With Relationship Management, we are accountable for the overall relationship with an Investment Manager, ensuring that Northern Trust provides high quality manager servicing by identifying and responding to industry trends and exploring opportunities for further development. With Technical Support, we provide client servicing to Investment Managers for their electronic communication needs with Northern Trust.
Hedge Fund Services – Investor Services (Chicago)
Our Investor Services team works as an extension of your Investor Relations team, so focus can be placed on business development. We understand the importance of your investor relationships, and our team provides specialized focus to alternatives clients. We have the expertise to understand the differences between various fund structures, and provide high quality service through our core functions of: Subscriptions/Redemptions, Capital Calls/Distributions, Trade Confirmations, Regulatory Reporting, Investor Reporting, Audit Confirmations.
Hedge Fund Services – Middle Office (Chicago)
Middle office services include a multitude of services including but not limited to real-time trade management tools, security management, corporate actions event processing, end-to-end trade management support for over-the-counter (OTC) products, bank debt processing, and reconciliation.
At Northern Trust, we place a huge value on “fit” – our clients, the services we provide, the technology we create, and most importantly, the people we hire.
As an applicant to an Early Career role, we want to get to know you – what you value, how you solve problems, what you aspire to, and whether we’re a good “fit” for your skills and career goals. To help us understand your “fit” for a role with us we ask you to complete a few stages:
Stage 1 – Online Application.
Click on Apply for Job and complete your online application where we ask you for personal information, academic history and check your eligibility.
Stage 2 – Career eNTry online assessment.
Take a brief online assessment so we can identify key skills and attributes important for working at Northern Trust.
Stage 3 – Interview.
If you are selected to move forward in the process for the role you have applied to, you will then be invited to participate in interview(s) where we will ask you some competency/behavioral based questions and give you an opportunity to ask us some questions.
Keep an eye on your email, including your spam folders. We also recommend adding NorthernTrust@invalidemail.com and Campusrecruiting@ntrs.com to your safe sender list so you do not miss important emails.
Northern Trust is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Good luck, we are looking forward to learning more about you.