Wireless Connectivity Field Application Engineer (FAE)
Business Unit Description
NXP Global Sales & Marketing (GSM) is the Go-to-Market organization for NXP’s business lines. We own the customer relationships and are responsible to ensure the customer’s needs are met and NXP meets or exceeds its growth ambitions.
As a Field Application Engineer, you’ll be one of the key players in the Customer Application Support team and part of a worldwide technical community providing premium technical support to NXP customers and their projects. You drive demand creation and design-in activity at customer sites in close cooperation with the NXP business lines; you provide technical skills & support to NXP’s sales staff and will work with the NXP technical community about technical issues and future roadmap of your customer(s). We rely on you to deliver the NXP value message in a persuasive and accurate manner, in order to increase our market share.
As a Wireless Connectivity Field Application Engineer you will drive design wins for NXP’s WiFi, BT/BLE and Zigbee/Thread solutions, identify opportunities, recommend appropriate solutions leveraging NXP architectures, support customer evaluations, and resolve any product issues that may arise in the customer’s system.
- Accountable to drive design wins in target accounts
- Lead proof of concept, solution design and demonstrations to secure NXP solution’s design-in
- Synthesize customer and competitive insights to improve product definition and roadmaps
- Direct the NXP design-in campaigns for assigned customers to ensure early involvement in the customer’s technology roadmap and timely flow of information to all necessary parties within NXP and customer
- Understand and communicate how ecosystem solutions can position NXP in the best possible manner
- Qualify sales opportunities in terms of customer technical requirements and establish NXP’s value proposition/position relative to the competition
- Qualify the value of NXP’s products (strengths versus competitive products) and quantify the technical benefits derived from choosing NXP
- Own the system software architect role to ensure broader technical team understands the software value proposition for system proposals
- Successfully build relationships with sales team members, business lines, partners and customers in support of sales team objectives
- Analyze customer’s technical objectives through the use of relevant data gathering techniques enabling the sales team to be more predictive, effective and responsive to customer needs
- Assist in educating Field Sales Engineers on new technologies, new product features and their related business value
Job qualifications & technical expertise
- Bachelors or Master’s degree (Master’s strongly preferred) in Electrical or Computer Engineering.
- 1 – 2 years of field application or design engineering experience (internships OK) focused on wireless connectivity solutions such as WiFi, BT and Zigbee/Thread.
- Proven record of developing hardware and software in various environments and OSes such as Linux, Android, Free RTOS, etc.
- Very comfortable working in a Linux environment.
- Knowledge of WiFi & BT specs, software stacks and interoperability testing. Expertise in WiFi, BT/BLE and Zigbee/Thread protocols.
- Ability to provide high quality technical training to customers, internal sales staff and our distributors.
- Proven track record of quickly learning new technologies.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills. Strong customer presence.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in driver interfaces like PCIe, SDIO, USB, I2C, I2S, SPI, UART.
- Experience bringing up and debugging wireless connectivity platforms in school and/or work projects.
- Demonstrated success in debugging challenging wireless connectivity interoperability issues.
- Ability to read, understand and review schematics and provide design recommendations.
- Willing to travel up to 25% to customer sites (Americas region).
San Jose, CA (Holger Way)
This position has an approximate annual salary as stated in the posting, but may be slightly higher or lower depending on past experience, including Internships. The position also comes with an Incentive Plan which is paid quarterly and based on success to established goals.