Location: Chicago, IL
Optimus Design is looking for a dedicated, passionate, and driven animator to join our team as a Junior Animator. The ideal candidate should have a working knowledge of Cinema 4D and the main components of CGI: modeling/texturing/lighting/rendering and also have an intense desire to expand those skills in a professional environment. You will work closely with other animators and designers in creating visually compelling projects for a wide range of agency and brand clients.
Candidates should be familiar with the work shown at design.optimus.com and should apply with cover letter, resume and links to examples of relevant work.
- Create dynamic, original, and inspired animated elements to be integrated into edited videos.
- Work alongside other animators, designers, editors, finish artists, and others involved in the entire post-production process.
- Collaborate within project files as well as in meetings, brainstorms, and discussions of the overall project scope.
- Be unafraid to take a lead on a job when our project load demands independence. Don’t worry, senior artists are here to help if needed!
- Find inspiration for quick reference for new work. This will involve scouring Vimeo, YouTube, studio websites, design blogs, Behance, Pinterest, etc. As a project begins, having a sense of what else has been done and what can be done is essential to setting and then exceeding expectations.
- Assist with prep work. On the 3D side, this can involve modeling, texturing, ZBrush, simulations, pre-lighting, etc. in support of the senior artist in the creation of realistic executions. This will also include pre-viz where needed, including rough tests of camera moves and simplified animations. On the 2D side, this can involve cutting mattes, rotoscoping, keying, etc. This can also involve editing selects in After Effects or Premiere to help senior artists begin projects.
Additionally, our Junior Animator can expect to:
- Shadow our artists – and ask questions! We do not want any barriers to learning. You should feel comfortable asking about process and techniques, even opening projects and looking at how we do what we do!
- Share your perspectives/opinions – We value feedback and we know that more input always beats less. Working individually can, at times, become so focused that we can’t see the bigger picture. If you have an idea on how to improve a design or a technique that could help simplify a process, speak up!
- Listen in on client calls/Join client Zooms. This is critically important at Optimus as we pride ourselves on client service, and we know every successful project begins by truly listening for what the client wants to achieve.
- Join us as we collaborate throughout the building. Meet the editors, assistants, audio engineers, colorists, etc. and learn how they contribute to our projects and/or how we support their work.
- Learn even more. Utilize our professional accounts for tutorials and training in areas that you have never explored or in software that you hope to improve.
Qualities we are looking for:
- Self-Awareness. It takes a healthy ego and a good amount of courage to want to create something from nothing. But none of us are experts. We’re always learning. Knowing your limitations and asking for help and guidance is not a flaw, it’s a sign of confidence in your own growth path.
- Generosity of Spirit. Share your knowledge and put your learning into action. If you learned a tutorial, turn it into a 5 second piece and share it with all of us. If you open one of our projects, show us what you learned, or ask us procedural questions like “why did you do it THIS way?”
- Curiosity. We are creative professionals. Let’s always remember which of those words come first: creative. If you have a chance to walk down some tangential path that yields something unexpected, do it! We have often been surprised at how detours on one project become clear paths on the next one.
Minimum Requirements. Candidates should:
- Have a degree (or similar professional experience) in a relevant media field, i.e., Animation, Graphic Design, Motion Graphics, Editing, Film Production, etc.
- Must possess a working knowledge of Cinema 4D as a primary tool of animation.
- Some experience with additional CGI packages and software (i.e., Houdini, Blender, RealFlow, Blender, etc.) is preferred.
- Additional abilities in the Adobe Suite as a base for Animation (After Effects) and Design (Photoshop, Illustrator) and Editing (Premiere) or other relevant tools is a plus.
- A hunger and passion for animation, and curiosity in the art of animation even when outside of the computer (i.e., everything from supervising VFX, animating in stop-motion, hand-drawn animation, etc.)
- Have excellent communication skills.
- Be open to constructive criticism.
- Have a “client comes first” attitude.
- Be a team player.
- Location: Chicago.
- Employment status is non-exempt.
- The position will start with a training period, either in-person or remote, and become mostly in-person when it is deemed safe to return to office work per company policy.
- The position will report to the Animation Director.
- General hours are from 9am to 6pm, Monday-Friday, but flexible as projects demand.
Optimus is a leading commercial post-production company based in Chicago that represents a diverse team of award-winning editors, artists, designers and engineers, and that delivers top-notch commercial work and branded content. Together with production division One at Optimus, we offer all production services from shoot through post, under one roof – a singular, streamlined creative force.
Please send your cover letter, resume, and examples of your work to email@example.com.
Optimus and One at Optimus are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.