A PPL Intern is a temporarily employed full-time college student in an accredited four-year institution of higher learning, who is offered a work-study program designed to give college students practical work experience in their field of study. This program often helps students determine career interests. Beyond the scope of the actual tasks performed, the student becomes familiar with a corporate environment and gains practical skills and knowledge to supplement their classroom experience.
Joining PPL as an intern provides you with the opportunity to explore possible career opportunities within Application Development (Mobile and Web), Cloud Computing and Integration, Machine Learning/Data Analytics and strategic IT planning and project management, or IT Security as well as:
· Meeting senior executives
· Becoming members of business resource groups
· Participating in community service projects
· Contributing to departmental goals.
Sample projects include:
· Deploy mobile application for field workers
· Implement cloud solution replacing legacy systems
· Build data platform components to enable advanced analytics
· Develop microservices APIs and application containerization
· Deploy a virtual personal assistant to enhance the employee experience
· Design next generation user experiences for customers and field workers
· Be part of cybersecurity and incident response teams to identify, analyze and mitigate potential threats
This position is a safety-sensitive role. Upon acceptance of a conditional offer, all individuals in safety-sensitive roles are obligated report the use of any medication that may impair their ability to perform the job in a safe manner.
The company reserves the right to determine if this position will be assigned to work on-site, remotely, or a combination of both. Assigned work location may change. In the case of remote work, physical presence in the office/on-site may be required to engage in face-to-face interaction and coordination of work among co-workers.
PPL Electric Utilities Information Technology organization is seeking 10 students to work full time (40 hours/week) during summer 2022, in Allentown, Pennsylvania or in a remote capacity to assist us in our digital transformation. If you have a high level of technical curiosity and learning agility, accustomed to working through technical problems with a team, able to work through technology solutions utilizing new and unique paths, have embraced the cloud, virtualization, as well as all forms of digital technology, and you understand that it’s critical for IT security to be part of every IT employee’s DNA, then PPL Electric Utilities IT is the right place for you. Our goal as a PPL Electric Utilities IT department is to bring new and exciting technologies to the business while using an Agile approach to delivering solutions rapidly and flawlessly that will transform the way the business operates.
The PPL Electric Utilities IT intern will actively work to plan, develop, and execute solutions that support the increasing need for technology on the electric grid.
Candidates must meet the basic qualifications and pass all required tests or assessments to receive consideration. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility form upon hire.
- Enrolled in a curriculum leading to a baccalaureate or master’s degree in computer science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, Information Technology, Data Analytics, Cyber Security, or related field.
- Will graduate from their academic program within 12 months of internship completion.
- Have an acceptable overall grade point average, not lower than a 3.0.
- Eligible to work in accordance with Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) regulations.
- Able to provide an official student transcript and other required information.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Our company is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity and the strength it brings to the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identify, genetic information, disability status, or any other protected characteristic.