Job Title: Communications Associate
Reports to: Director of Communications & Field Building
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared Date: June 2021
Project Evident exists to help organizations harness the power of evidence to achieve greater
impact. We do this by offering a comprehensive platform of tools, resources, and services to
help nonprofits, funders, policymakers, and state and local education agencies improve how
they generate and use evidence. We believe that by empowering practitioners to drive their own
evidence building and by strengthening the surrounding ecosystem, we can increase the number
of effective solutions in the social sector and scale them faster — ultimately producing better
outcomes for people and communities.
Project Evident strives to be a trusted partner – to practitioners, funders, and other stakeholders
committed to stronger, meaningful, and equitable outcomes for communities and individuals so
that all can participate, prosper, and reach their full potential. We believe in 1 the power of data
and evidence to address social and racial justice, and seek to advance a next generation
ecosystem for actionable evidence building and use. We lean into our mission through our
● Practitioner Focused: We center on practitioners, and ground our work in their needs and
contexts. We help practitioners strengthen meaningful and equitable outcomes for the
communities and individuals they serve, and lift up their work so it can be better
understood and supported by funders and policy makers.
● Committed to Learning, Inclusion, and Transparency: We are frank, honest, and
compassionate with our colleagues, clients, funders, and stakeholders. We seek input
and feedback from a wide range of voices and share our learnings openly with others.
We recognize that evidence is not immune from the racism and inequities that exist in
our society, and strive to understand the context in which we operate and to uphold the
principles of belonging, dignity, and justice through our work.
● Smart, Warm, Approachable and Productive:
○ Smart – we strive to find practical, implementable solutions.
1 Language drawn from PolicyLink’s definition of equity with their permission.
○ Warm – we bring an attitude of heart and positivity and work through discomfort.
○ Approachable – we keep open and curious minds, welcoming differing viewpoints
and valuing the ideas and experiences of our partners.
○ Productive – we hold ourselves accountable to the goals and timelines we set
with our colleagues and partners, and course correct as needed.
● Oriented to Actionable Evidence: We work with partners to build and use relevant and
timely data and evidence to continuously learn, improve, and make meaningful,
equitable, and cost effective decisions both for ourselves and partnering organizations.
Position Summary – Communications Associate
The Communications Associate will be responsible for supporting the communications function
and key field building initiatives in order to advance Project Evident’s strategic goals. Reporting
to the Director of Communications & Field Building, she/he/they will work closely with senior
leadership to support the overall communications plan for the organization and the integration
of vertical-level communications and field building goals within centralized organizational
This role comes at a key time in the trajectory of Project Evident, where we are increasing our
field building, improving cross-organization coordination, and building our brand to support our
theory of change. The Associate will support day-to-day communications operations including
social media, print, thought leadership, content development, digital assets, public relations,
conference coordination and external reporting. She/He/They will support the development of a
new website and other digital assets for the organization, will support the knowledge
management strategy and communications/brand protocols to ensure alignment and
compliance across the organization. As a key member of communication function, this role will
help ensure highest-quality communications efforts, resulting in stronger brand recognition and
clear and effective messaging such that Project Evident’s mission is well understood and
accessible by all. The Communications Associate will develop content for blogs and thought
leadership pieces and will support the strategic and tactical communications aspects of key
field building projects including the Next Generation of Evidence Campaign and Build Me the
Evidence book project to ensure maximal impact. She/He/They will also provide support as
needed to organizational leaders to ensure that communications and field building goals are
met in line with organizational values and standards.
The Communications Associate will work collaboratively with a high impact team in an
entrepreneurial organizational culture. She/He/They will work closely across all levels of the
organization to track all communications activities and ensure that communications and field
building both support and inform program operations. This position requires capability and
comfort managing the requests and needs of senior leadership with extreme attention to detail,
the capacity to manage or switch among multiple tasks rapidly, ability to meet deadlines, and
experience and ease with a variety of online tools and software.
● Execute on Project Evident’s strategic communications plan in collaboration with
communications, leadership, and project teams. Work with communications and
leadership teams to update the plan, including key messages and deliverables, to map
communications activities to strategic business goals and team capacity.
● Support the production of in-person and virtual events, including roundtables, webinars,
and other convenings.
● Foster an engaged network of partners through digital outreach, content development,
curation of tools and resources, and event production.
● Co-monitor market trends and insights affecting Project Evident, and leverage to drive
● Co-develop and manage a content calendar that is aligned with goals and milestones
outlined in the strategic communications plan.
● Support the development and editing of content for external communications across
multiple platforms and audiences, working collaboratively with the communications
team to ensure alignment of key messages, including:
○ Reports and case studies for print and web publication
○ Blog posts
○ Email newsletters
○ Conference proposals and presentations
○ Content for social media campaigns
● Advise and support senior level communication needs.
● Ensure that high standards of editorial quality are maintained in all communication
deliverables, and that content is aligned with strategic objectives and brand goals.
● Ensure organization-wide adherence to brand; be a resource to the team on correct
brand use. Appreciate and enhance good design.
● Maintain Project Evident’s Salesforce database to ensure accurate and timely data entry
to facilitate newsletters, outreach, annual reports, and campaigns.
● Publish Project Evident’s ‘Wins of the Week’ emails to the internal team.
● Track and report traffic and performance for all Project Evident social media and digital
● Develop and implement online engagement strategies and social media campaigns with
partners and influencers.
● Maintain website, marketing one-pagers and templates, ensuring information is
up-to-date and consistent across platforms.
● Curate and update digital tools and assets, including the Project Evident Toolkit.
● Maintain Project Evident’s Portal to ensure internal staff and stakeholders have access
to key information.
● Optimize Project Evident’s technology stack to ensure clear and timely communications
with internal and external stakeholders.
● Work directly with the Founder & Chief Executive and the Senior Advisor, Strategy &
Policy to support content development and dissemination for field building and
● Work directly with vertical and external stakeholders to develop, repurpose, leverage, and
integrate content in line with Project Evident messaging.
● Collaborate with the team to identify areas for improvement, integration, and/or deferral
of content development in line with field building and ecosystem goals, key frameworks
● Support development and maintenance of microsites, community newsletters, and other
network engagement tools for select field building initiatives.
● Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
● Bachelor’s degree in communications, and/or 2-3 years of related experience in
● Excellent writing skills and demonstrated experience with digital and print
content development, website maintenance, and social media.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
We are also looking for candidates that have:
● Excellent oral and written communication skills, with a proven ability to
write and copy edit clear and concise narratives and presentations.
● Digital marketing experience, including hands-on experience making
updates to websites, posting to social media, sending broadcast emails.
● High level of competence in portraying complex content in a clear, concise,
and compelling manner. Data visualization and design skills are a plus.
● Knowledge of and direct experience with digital publishing tools, including
Twitter, LinkedIn, Hootsuite, MailChimp and content management systems.
● Understanding of the social and education sectors. Knowledge of
evidence-based policy/practice, nonprofit evaluation, and performance
management disciplines a plus.
● High degree of proficiency with Google and Microsoft software including
Docs/Word, Slides/Powerpoint, and Sheets/Excel.
● Experience with analytics tools and reporting across digital channels;
understanding of Google Analytics reporting.
● Familiarity with group collaboration tools (we use Slack, Google Team
Drive, Zoom) or willingness to learn.
● Impeccable attention to detail and extremely high standards for accuracy.
● Proficient in using technology and curious about learning new systems.
● Comfortable in a virtual, distributed environment with fast deadlines.
● Experience working with diverse communities and a deep commitment to
learning, performance, racial equity, and building a culture of belonging.
The Communications Associate reports to the Director of Communications & Field Building and
works collaboratively with staff, clients, contractors, and vendors on a weekly basis to meet
goals in line with organizational values.
● Ability tork Environmento work with a virtual team
● Expected to work 45-50 hours per week
● Up to 10% travel (In times when travel is standard practice and generally safe)
Submission and Interview Process
Candidates wishing to be considered for this position must submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that applicants with qualifying disabilities may
participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of
Project Evident, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer.
Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex,
national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including
pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical
condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.