Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world.
Why Work with Us
Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that’s meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That’s why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2018 Corporate Equality Index.
POSITION SUMMARY: This is a development role providing on-the-job training through a sequence of tasks, ultimately preparing the trainee for a BUFM or similar role. Under the supervision of the Area Director of Finance, the Finance Support Manager works with Area and Business Unit leaders to support projects, acquire all essential knowledge and build skills to become a Business Unit Finance Manager in one of the most stable industries in the U.S. Upon successful completion of the program, managers may be required to relocate, if they are placed into a BUFM or similar role in another part of the country.
- Performs complex accounting activities to record, analyze and monitor financial information.
- Assists with monthly reconciliation of balance sheet accounts.
- Prepares and reviews required supporting documentation and financial statements to ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Company policies and procedures.
- Provides direction to the different accounting functional areas (invoice processing, billing, cash receipts, work order processing, month-end close, journal entries, statistical data, and payroll).
- Assists with ensuring proper internal controls are in place, including compliance with Company policies and procedures, Sarbanes Oxley and all other statutory requirements.
- Assists with ensuring all internal and external reporting deadlines are met.
- Assists with pricing and profitability analysis, commercial and municipal bids, and market development projects.
- Supports the Area Director of Finance during the annual budget and interim forecasting process and assists with analytical review.
- Supports the accounting aspects of capital expenditures, transfers and retirements.
- Assists with periodic financial audits including internal audits, external audits and peer reviews.
- Provides support and responds to information requests from corporate (accounting, tax, treasury, IT, HR, sales, environmental compliance, legal, etc.).
- This position may require travel by air, car and/or other modes of transportation up to 75% of the time.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Sarbanes-Oxley 404, and compliance requirements of other financial statutes.
- Ability to work through others to accomplish goals and objectives.
- Advanced MS Excel skills including, but not limited to, gathering, structuring, and presenting data to a wide variety of audiences.
- Strong analytical skills including critical thinking, problem solving, and data/metrics interpretation.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to complete projects and assignments with minimal direction.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work in high-volume, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently within a team environment
- Have CPA, MBA, or will have within 12 months
- Prior related accounting or financial experience.
- Prior leadership experience.