Rockwell Automation is a global leader in industrial automation and information solutions, where innovation is critical. With our Integrated Architecture™ control and information system, Intelligent Motor Control portfolio and components offering, we bring together products and technologies that shape our future — and help organizations achieve Smart, Safe, and Sustainable Manufacturing.
- We are a highly ethical company, named by Ethisphere as one of the world’s most ethical companies for the last 11 years.
- Interested in volunteerism? Each year, hundreds of Rockwell Automation employees donate their time and talent to make their communities and the world a better place. The Rockwell Automation Volunteer Recognition Program acknowledges the outstanding achievement of those who reach out to others and celebrated their stellar service.
- We promote a culture of inclusion – with over 12 affinity groups; Rockwell Automation seeks to improve the careers and engagement of our employees by advocating for an inclusive workplace culture.
Rockwell Automation’s Industrial Component Business is seeking an experienced Firmware Engineer to be a significant contributor to a next generation new product development responsible for the design, analysis, test and integration of Firmware for embedded communication and control modules. The position requires the proven ability to work with a team of system, hardware, and firmware design personnel to support project specifications and execute through the entire development cycle.
Responsibilities typically include:
- Design, develop, troubleshoot and debug firmware programs for embedded products. Determine hardware compatibility and/or influence of hardware design.
- Utilize experience to resolve wide range of issues in creative and effective ways.
- Participate in creation of or reviews of; documents, designs, code, test cases and user documentation.
- Perform unit or functional testing of developed software to ensure correct operation per functional requirements and compatibility with other components in the system.
- Contribute to firmware development capability by keeping abreast of current trends in the areas of software development practices, technology utilization and development tools.
- Frequently interact with peers to gain cooperation of others or sharing of technical information/project activities.
- Strong accountability to assignments, keeping in mind the guiding principles; Customer Focus, Sense of Urgency, Performance to schedule and Quality.
- Minimum of a completed Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or similar Engineering discipline with a concentration in firmware.
- Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Up to 10% travel
- Proven experience with embedded firmware development and proven track record of following a development process.
- Programming and development experience involving C and C++ programming languages.
- Clearly communicates and conveys design concepts, both verbally and written.
- DevOps experience with standard version control systems (Git/RTC), build automation systems (Makefiles), and release management tools (Jenkins, CLM), standard scripting languages (Python, Powershell, Bash, etc) and managing them is a plus.
- Experience with the use of tools such as In-Circuit Emulators, Logic Analyzers, embedded monitors, and other such development tools.
- Board Support Package (BSP) development level experience with microcontrollers and interfaces such as SPI, I2C, and simple peripherals such as A/D, D/A, & general purpose IO.
- Experience with Agile software development methodology.
- Advanced courses in engineering or computer science would be beneficial. Course work covering software requirements analysis, software design, software engineering and software testing is desired.