What Your Job Will Be Like
We are seeking a dedicated computer/data scientists and engineers to join our multidisciplinary team. This position will focus on algorithm research and development of advanced computational methods, models, and software support national security missions in a variety of high-impact areas within Defense Nuclear Nonproliferation R&D. The selected applicant will have significant opportunity to engage in leadership development activities both independently and as part of the larger team.
Technical focus areas include the following: machine learning and deep learning; data science and analytics; modeling and simulation; computational science and mathematics; algorithm design and development; and scientific and data visualization.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Collaborate and partner on projects with organizations across Sandia
- Develop and execute complex modeling and simulation tools using large datasets
- Identify, analyze and provide solutions and alternate approaches to complex data analytics problems using individual creativity and judgment
- Prepare documents for publication in highly selective journals, manuscripts and other publications
- Apply technical judgment in determining optimal application of computational science practices to ensure the delivery of high-quality product
This position will require infrequent business travel (1 trip/6-8 weeks)
Qualifications We Require
- Bachelor’s and advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in related STEM field, plus 1 or more year(s) of relevant experience (Computer Science R&D and/or Global/National Security work)
- Proficient in computer programming languages of Python or C++
- Ability to obtain DOE security clearance
Qualifications We Desire
- At least 3 years’ or more of relevant experience in addition to the above education requirement above
- Experience with the following:
- Machine learning, statistical inference, data mining, or cloud service analytics
- Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, and/or Mixed Reality integration with Modeling & Simulation platforms.
- Software design, engineering and development skills, including familiarity with modern software development practices and tools
- Gitlab and/or CI/CD pipeline
- Development of data processing and analysis systems
- Distributed sensor network processing
- Incorporating HPC/GPU assets into algorithms
- Department of Energy National Lab Complex experience
- Proven ability to perform as a strong individual contributor within a multidisciplinary team, and within the framework of a research project which shows evidence of meeting completing projects on time
About Our Team
The Monitoring Systems & Technology Center (6700) has researched and developed new monitoring systems and technologies for over half a century. Building on that legacy, today we support national security missions involving nuclear proliferation detection, treaty monitoring, arms control, and various needs within the national security communities.
The Proliferation Detection Program (6750) focuses on developing capabilities to: detect foreign nuclear weapons programs; advance the technical base in support of nuclear arms control treaties verification and monitoring needs; and support a broad set of national nuclear security technical needs. Our goal is to advance R&D efforts as the technical base for national and homeland security agencies to meet their nonproliferation, counterproliferation, and counterterrorism responsibilities.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.