Schneider Internship – Construction (Start Summer 2022) – 0078OJ
Schneider Electric is the global specialist in energy management and automation. With revenues of ~€25 billion in FY2016, our 160,000+ employees serve customers in over 100 countries, helping them to manage their energy and process in ways that are safe, reliable, efficient and sustainable. From the simplest of switches to complex operational systems, our technology, software and services improve the way our customers manage and automate their operations. Our connected technologies reshape industries, transform cities and enrich lives. At Schneider Electric, we call this Life Is On.
This position is a Construction Intern position within the Energy and Sustainability Services Division of Schneider Electric. This position will be responsible for performing entry-level construction site management of mechanical, electrical and/or controls installation tasks associated with identifying and improving the energy efficiency and operations of building systems.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary duties.
The Site Manager is responsible for scheduling, monitoring, and controlling all construction activities of site personnel, equipment, and subcontractors to achieve the objectives detailed in the scope of work. The Site Manager works with the Project Manager to execute the project plan to complete the project on time and within budget. The Site Manager ensures delivery of highest quality for installed scope of work within the execution of the project schedule and manages adherence to Schneider Electric’s Safety policy.
- Manage and supervise all subcontractors and associated work and personnel
- Obtain, organize, execute, update, and maintain all project tracking and quality assurance documents
- Manage and ensure quality of all installed work disciplines
- Maintain, monitor, and control the plans, specifications, and submittals for all assigned scopes of work
- Execute the Project Management Plan established by the Project Manager and Project Sponsor
- Review project plan, organize project tasks and coordinate implementation with customer
- Execute work activities against the project schedule
- Manage and update project schedule
- Coordinate facility access with customer
- Record, forward, and track all Requests for Information (RFIs) and Material Submittals to project team
- Update Project Manager to update the Project Management Information System (PMIS) with weekly project status reports, photos, meeting minutes, and issues logs.
- Manage Site Safety
- Ensure all personnel and subcontractors understand and adhere to Schneider Electric safe work practices
- Coordinate and chair weekly safety meetings and attend job box talks
- Review Job Hazard Analysis (JHA) and Point of Work Risk Assessment (POWRA) before work begins
- Ensure all personnel and subcontractors have, wear, and use appropriate, required, personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Secure and confirm clean work site after each shift and all equipment stored and secured.
- Attend and possibly lead scheduled project coordination meetings with customer and subcontractors
- Update customer and Project Manager on project progress
- Record, prepare, and distribute all meeting minutes
- Update project/scope schedule and coordinate intended work weekly
- Participate in all required inspections with Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJs)
- Identify, capture, and proactively manage scope risks & issues,
- Capture, input, update, and track to closure all risks and issues
- Advise the Sr. Site Manager and Project Manager of any issues, risks or concerns for mitigation
- Manage execution of corrective action plans
- Assist with managing and overseeing all project work activities and degrees of complexity on Project Site.
- Lead all activities and apply site management best practices
Additional responsibilities may include, not limited to:
- Build and maintain positive, professional relationships with inspectors, engineers, subcontractors, and customer representatives connected to the project
- Attend customer meetings for all scopes of work
- Assist with assembling project closeout documents (O&M Manuals, warranty, substantial completion letters)
Care. Connect. Challenge. Commit. Our values define our company. Who we are, our customer approach, how we do business, what it’s like to work here, and the kind of people we want to attract and retain. We care for our planet, our customers, our company, our team, and ourselves. We connect to customers and colleagues; we are open and respectful. We challenge others and embrace challenges ourselves. We commit to change by leading the change. At Schneider Electric, because we value our employees, we offer a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision, matching 401(k), training and development opportunities and much more. Join Schneider Electric and together, let’s make the most of your energy.
- Enrolled in Construction management course work
- First Aid / CPR certification desired or ability to obtain within 30 days
- Valid driver’s license
- Must pass mandatory background check
- Engineering or construction management course work
- Interest in mechanical/electrical/civil construction
- Experience and technical competency with mechanical/electrical control systems
- Team player
- Passionate about customer service and team success
- Excellent, accurate written and verbal communication skills
- Insatiable curiosity and passion to learn
- Problem solver
- Safety and hazard conscious
- Detailed, organized record keeping
- Ability to read mechanical, electrical, control drawings and schematics
- Ability to thoroughly understand and follow plans and specifications in the construction of a project
- Flexibility adjusting and adapting to dynamic, variable circumstances
- Demonstrated computer literacy and advanced user
- Use of Microsoft Office programs including Word and Excel
- Familiarity with Project Management applications (MS Project, Procore, Primavera, Bluebeam)
- Personal email and mobile phone
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the primary duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary duties.
- Walking over rough or uneven surfaces
- Climbing ladders
- Recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities
- Lifting to 50 lbs.
- Carrying laptop computers and luggage
- Capable and willing to wear required personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Approximately 75% travel to project sites via automobile or airplane as needed
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the primary duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary duties.
- Exposure to active construction site and variable activities
- Daily exposure to outside weather conditions
- Exposure to mechanical and electrical equipment, equipment rooms
- Normal work schedule is Monday through Friday depending on project requirements.
- Special project circumstances may require additional working hours on weekends when scheduled in advance.
- Daily work hours variable depending on the project plan.
- Travel can be via automobile or airplane to remote destinations.
Primary Location: US-California-Costa Mesa
Other Locations: US-California-San Francisco, US-Arizona-Phoenix, US-California-Fresno
Unposting Date: Ongoing