Summary and Essential Duties
The Manager Category Analytics is responsible for leading a team of Category Analysts to develop data-driven, actionable insights that contribute to all parts of Category Management. (S)he will manage the capacity of the team’s analytics requests to ensure that recommendations to solve complex business problems are prioritized and delivered appropriately to drive profitable business results. As a strategic thought partner (s)he will help shape the strategic direction of Category Management by ensuring best analytical practices and techniques are used throughout the enterprise.
- Work cross-functionally across multiple departments to collect information on promotions, sales/marketing initiatives, category growth and penetration initiatives, market data, and price fluctuations to improve the model and make better educated assumptions.
- Lead monthly calls with preferred suppliers and customers for better relationship and collaboration and other data/information sharing.
- Manage interns and analysts to oversee all departmental reporting needs and adhoc requests.
- Work with big data, including preparing and cleaning data for statistical modeling.
- Perform both product and customer segmentation analysis to determine appropriate focus areas
- Lead and support the team to draw conclusions from imperfect and incomplete data, apply various statistical techniques, and develop retail strategies.
- Lead discussions with Category Management staff members, providing analytic results and recommendations for improved performance
- Lead the production of monthly results reviews of category management financials and operational performance metrics versus current plan and last year
- Provide business leaders with accurate and pertinent information that enhances and guides effective decision making
- Collaborate with business partners in vendor negotiations and defining cost increase justifications
- Collaborate with Category Management on the communication of rollout strategies across the business
- Lead and support development of analytics on categories that are highly deviated and underperforming for a dependable pricing review
- Continuously seek to learn of changes in the industry and enterprise to improve department performance
- Perform regular, weekly, monthly, quarterly and ad hoc reporting/analysis
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree required; MBA or Master’s degree preferred in Data Analytics, Information Systems, Statistics, Supply Chain, Mathematics, Operations, or related fields.
- 3+ years of experience in data analytics. Reporting and Business Intelligence experience preferred.
- 1+ years’ experience leading and analytics team
- Demonstrated expertise working with big data and visualization tools including MS Office, Business Intelligence (PowerBI) and Tableau.
- Intermediate to Advanced MS SQL experience.
- Demonstrated expertise using Microsoft Excel.
- Strong mathematical and analytics skills
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills and ability to draw conclusions based on data.
- Ability to work across cross-functional groups and ensure ability to influence and execute across
- Excellent communication skills, and ability to deal with ambiguity and influence change in a rapidly changing business environment.
- Must be flexible and willing to work the demands of the department which is generally limited to week days but may be subject to evenings or weekends due to project or department needs.