Our Multi-State Corporate Income Tax Auditors are responsible for conducting multi-state Corporate Income Tax reviews, spending up to 35% of their time traveling in other states. Ideal candidates are motivated problem-solvers with professional experience and strong communication skills. You will work closely with your supervisor and Senior Foreign Auditors, learning audit issues, techniques, and procedures, mastering state and federal tax laws, and becoming an expert on our online tax portal.
This position is part of our Field Operations Division, who encourage compliance by educating taxpayers and completing fair and objective audits. Your work will help ensure tax equity for all South Carolina taxpayers.
- Learn audit issues, work papers, and applicable authority in “trainee” status.
- Participate in team audits of small multi-state corporations to verify the accuracy of returns.
- Prepare delinquent returns, as necessary, for non-filers to ensure compliance with South Carolina corporate income and license fee tax laws.
- Assist in preparing and submitting professional audit reports, which include a detail of the basis and justification for adjustments proposed to the taxpayer’s liability, including authority.
- Explain audit results to taxpayer in a clear and professional manner.
- Review tax returns, company filing history, financial statements and other related information to identify underreported income and potential audit issues for purposes of audit selection.
- Complete research and training to improve audit skills and knowledge related to corporate income tax law and returns.
- Complete administrative tasks including, but not limited to, time entry and daily work reports, travel reports and itineraries.
You must be able to travel and work away from the office for extended periods of time (on average 3-4 nights at a time).