State Farm’s Property & Casualty Actuarial & Underwriting Modeling Department (PCM) is seeking Actuarial Statisticians with experience in utilizing predictive modeling techniques to produce advanced analytic solutions. We have a growing and evolving infrastructure of predictive models that support State Farm’s insurance pricing and underwriting decisions. We are looking for innovative individuals who are self-starters and like being part of a team that develops and implements creative solutions. Working within the PCM Department, agile product teams have autonomy to drive outcomes that provide meaningful business value directly to our customers.
As a member of the P&C Actuarial & Underwriting Modeling community you will be challenged and empowered to grow professionally. We are dedicated to helping each of our associates develop to his or her full potential.
A Day In The Life Of An Actuarial Statistician
- Develop and validate advanced analytic models
- Build datasets to support model development
- Collaborate with other team members on scoping solutions and project decision points
- Compile data exhibits to support filings to departments of insurance
- Present on technical topics to peers, leadership, and other stakeholders
- Communicate with business partners that require articulation of the work in non-technical terms
- Lead/mentor other statisticians and other technical work teams
- Perform advisory/consulting work for the organization, including specialized or innovative areas
- Work on complex problems of diverse scope where analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of intangible variance factors
- Establish and leverage a network of associates with business domain and data expertise by navigating the organization effectively
- Instill a business-oriented mindset that drives the science and research agenda
Office Locations: Bloomington, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix
Success in this job requires:
- Must have passed at least two actuarial exams with the intent to continue on to earn ACAS or higher credential
- At least one year of industry experience building predictive models
Other recommended qualities for success:
- Programing background in SAS and/or Python with emphasis on techniques relevant to predictive modeling such as; data set development, cleaning, EDA, and utilizing modeling procedures.
- Experience with model feature creation, selection and value imputation.
- Critical Thinking
- Independent troubleshooting abilities
- Learning agility/desire to learn new tools
- Quality and Attention to Detail
- Technical/Functional Expertise
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing timelines
What You Can Expect
Next Steps: Competitive candidates may be invited to participate in pre-employment testing and/or the interview process. This is where the excitement begins!
Incumbency: There is a 24-month incumbency period (beginning on the employee’s effective date) for any lateral job movements and a 12 month incumbency period for any promotional opportunities, which must be met before the employee may post for other State Farm positions. The incumbency period does not affect the at-will relationship between State Farm and the employee and does not create an employment contract, nor contractual rights.
What’s In It For You?
- Competitive Benefits, Pay and Bonus Potential: Who doesn’t want money, right?
- Volunteer opportunities: Get involved and give back to the community!
- Continuing Education Support: We support opportunities for you to learn and grow!
- A Learning Culture: Mentoring, Professional Designations, Employee Development, and more!
- 401k Plan.
- We embrace Diversity and Inclusion: We are one team and it is simply the right thing to do!
- Learn more about our benefits at State Farm Careers!
Applicants are required to be eligible to lawfully work in the U.S. immediately; employer will not sponsor applicants for U.S. work authorization (e.g. H-1B visa) for this opportunity.