Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Are you curious by nature? Do you enjoy managing relationships and employing your critical thinking skills? Underwriters perform a critical function of evaluating the acceptability of risk and determining appropriate pricing of insurance products. The Business Insurance Underwriting Professional Development Internship Program provides students with the amazing opportunity to gain exposure to this critical function at Travelers. The 10-week program provides qualified students with an excellent opportunity to gain first-hand commercial insurance underwriting experience, receive valuable on-the-job training and learn more about the property & casualty insurance industry from industry professionals. It is a potential pathway to our 12 month Underwriting Professional Development Program.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Within your assigned business unit, each intern will be given a designated coach and be expected to:
Complete core assignments and training modules geared toward insurance and underwriting principles.
Participate and complete self-paced professional development courses in time management, presentation skills and other key areas.
Complete challenging and meaningful project work over the course of this program at the discretion of your manager. You may work independently or with other interns and will be asked to present your findings to local leadership. Sample projects include:
· Territorial risk assessment to determine profitability and underwriting opportunities
· Business process analysis to determine underwriting gaps
Engage in learning about other areas at Travelers such as Risk Control, Claims and related Corporate functions. Interns may also engage in Agency visits with Account Executives.
Participate in the Enterprise Internship experience which includes Executive Speaker Series, Networking events and Intern Symposium for Rising Seniors.
Other projects or duties as assigned.
- Candidate must be pursuing a Bachelor’s degree required.
- Approximate work availability from June through August (10-12 weeks) required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Because the Underwriting Development Internship Program is itself complex and dynamic, we welcome applicants that have a variety of majors, backgrounds and experiences. For the UPDP Internship, we are most interested in students who are serious about entering the insurance industry and who are excited about the prospect of making underwriting their future career choice.
- Preferred cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
- Undergraduate students completing their Sophomore or Junior year by Summer 2022.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
- Targeted Majors:
- Business Administration
- Liberal Arts (with business focus preferred)
- Risk Management and Insurance
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.