PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The Laboratory Analyst works at the Corporate Microbiology Lab and is responsible for testing samples according to standard operating microbiological procedures to determine whether samples meet product specifications or customer requirements. The position conducts Food Safety and Food Quality tests in food and environmental samples; operates and maintains microbiological equipment including VIDAS and PCR. In addition, position helps review and update laboratory documentation in the laboratory’s document control system.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR ENTRY:
- Knowledge of food microbiology and microbiological testing protocol.
- Working knowledge of basic analytical laboratory equipment and use.
- Life science background, examples are zoology, animal science, or Veterinary medicine
- Solid knowledge of lab safety.
- Microorganisms and microbiological test methods and technologies involving detection of spoilage and pathogenic microorganisms.
- Analytical wet chemistry.
- Focused understanding of food safety and food quality.
- Specific understanding of food laws and regulations.
- Focused understanding of regulatory requirements for animal feed.
- Mathematics and scientific weights and measurements.
- Good Laboratory Practices (GLP).
- Accurately document formulas, specifications, and operating procedures.
- Evaluate novel sampling plans and detect when gaps may be present.
- Recognize and identify chemical and microbiological issues that present a personnel safety risk.
- Perform analytical testing to ensure product meets specifications.
- Read and interpret test results and documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Work independently in a microbiology lab performing tasks such as media preparation and documentation.
- Accurately perform mathematical and scientific calculations.
- Maintain confidential and sensitive information.
- Effectively organize, plan, and execute.
- Utilize Continuous Improvement and develop Quality Systems
- Use computers and computer software including word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Meet behaviors established in Tree Top’s performance management and development process.
- Bilingual skills are a plus.
EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATION/LICENSES, AND TRAINING:
- Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, or cross-functional field like Biochemistry or Life Sciences (Zoology, Animal Science or Veterinary Medicine) field is required.
- A minimum of one year of experience working in a lab environment (i.e., Industrial, Microbiology, Chemistry, University/College research, Pharmaceutical, or related)
- Knowledge and experience in Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), HACCP, and Good Lab Practices (GLPs) are preferred.
- Willingness to attend seminars on FSMA (Food Safety Modernization Act) to remain current in regulatory knowledge and ISO 17025.
The above job profile does not include all essential and nonessential duties of this job. A full job description is available at the time of interview.
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this job with reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis and depends, in part, on the specific requirements for the job, the limitations related to disability and the ability of the department/division to accommodate the limitation.
Tree Top is an EEO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If you require an accommodation to participate in our application process, please contact Human Resources at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 509-697-7251.