Working under the supervision of the Head of Communications, the Japan Communications Specialist will oversee the work of the Japan Communications Associate and collaborate in close cooperation with other Office of Communications staff.
1. Lead the development and implementation of a comprehensive media and stakeholder outreach strategy to raise the overall profile of UNU in Japan.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive UNU Japanese stakeholder network to enhance communication efforts. Help identify and engage with influential Japanese agencies/personalities who can amplify UNU’s work among their networks in Japan.
- Lead reporting on UNU activities to government stakeholders.
- Act as liaison with other UN organizations in Japan. Maintain and develop relationships with other UN staff in Japan and identify areas to increase inter-agency collaboration.
2. Provide regular insight and advice to the Head of Communications and the Office of the Rector on media and stakeholder relations opportunities in Japan.
- Liaise between the Office of Communications and the Office of the Rector to identify opportunities, and propose strategies, for the UNU to get more involved in events, activities, and initiatives taking place in Japan.
- Pitch UNU’s research, activities, and experts to Japanese journalists and media agencies (through press releases, media advisories, interviews, press conferences, feature stories, social media, etc.) to increase the positive coverage of UNU in Japanese media. Respond to media inquiries from Japanese outlets.
- Collaborate with other institutes, especially UNU-IAS, to identify media opportunities in the Japanese market that align with UNU research areas and expertise.
- Seek out and facilitate media interviews with UNU personnel, and provide pre-interview assistance (coaching, preparation of key messages/background materials, etc.)
- Develop, maintain, and track relationships with media representatives in Japan. Build and develop media contacts for effective news dissemination.
3. Supervise the Japan Communications Associate in his/her role to support domestic outreach activities and others led by the Office of Communications.
- Provide guidance to the Japan Communications Associate in managing UNU’s Japanese social media accounts on Twitter and Facebook. Propose additional platforms of potential use to UNU outreach efforts in Japan.
- Support the Japan Outreach Coordinator in proposing, developing, and coordinating UNU outreach events and activities in Japan.
4. Manage UNU’s website presence and printed marketing materials in Japanese.
- UNU’s website presence in Japanese on https://jp.unu.edu and https://ourworld.unu.edu/jp/. Ensure Japanese content is refreshed and up to date.
- Translate, where appropriate, English material into Japanese and coordinate English/Japanese translations. Edit and proofread Japanese content, including material drafted by the Japan Outreach Coordinator.
- Lead in the development of original content on UNU websites in Japanese, and support content creation in English.
- Propose and facilitate the creation of UNU Japanese-language marketing materials as needed, with the support of Japan Outreach Coordinator.
- Assist in the development of UNU’s web platform from a Japanese language perspective.
5. Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality development and implementation of a comprehensive media and stakeholder outreach strategy
- Timely and quality delivery of website content
- High level of engagement with stakeholders and media organizations
- Successful mentorship and guidance of Japan Outreach Coordinator