We seek highly motivated individuals with the intellectual curiosity to keep up with the fast pace, ever changing accounting environment. Our associates are inclusive leaders who are change agents in the work they do. They are self-starting individuals who enjoy collaboration, deliver innovative results, and possess effective communication skills. We have had success with candidates who have prior industry or public accounting experience as well as recent grads. If this sounds like you, apply now!
The Accounting and Finance Development Program provides Associates with high visibility within the Finance organization, as well as numerous opportunities to develop their career. The objective of the program is to develop and grow the Associate’s financial and business acumen, as well as the leadership skills necessary to prepare them for a Director role in the Finance organization upon successful completion of the Program.
Features of the Program
The program consists of 3-4 cross functional job rotations within the Finance organization, and occasionally in other business units. Job rotation assignments may vary from 12-24 months depending on the role, complexity, and business needs. Finance rotations may include, but are not limited to, Accounting, Financial & Regulatory Reporting, Planning, Risk, Tax, Internal Audit and Corporate Finance. Participants will be rigorously assessed after each cross functional rotation before moving onto the next phase of the program.
Learning and Development
This program includes a training and development component that occurs throughout the program. The training is focused on growing your business acumen, financial acumen, and leadership skills.
Participants will be assigned a leadership mentor for the duration of the program to support them in their individual professional growth through personalized development plans. Also, as an integral part of this Program, Associates will be expected to assume an active role in managing important aspects of the business related to their specific rotational assignment.
Associates are required to pursue and complete a relevant Accounting or Finance credential (CPA, CFA or CMA) prior to finishing the program. To support Associates on their credential path, the Accounting and Finance Development Program provides the Associates with paid study hours, exam materials, and exam registration fees.
Requirements of the Program
- Successfully complete 3-4 rotations as in various parts of the Finance organization and broader business units; outstanding work performance while in the assigned roles; demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with others; self-directed in completing high quality work within established timelines.
- Demonstrate commitment to career development and growing financial acumen by pursuing and achieving a relevant Finance credential (CPA, CFA or CMA).
- Participate in regular financial cycle.
- Prepare financial analysis for decision making
- Demonstrate understanding of analysis by applying knowledge, anticipating issues, and demonstrating ownership of assigned tasks or processes. Leverage the analysis to make business recommendations.
- Continuous assessment of established training and work processes to identify areas for effectiveness and efficiency improvements. Contributes to operating effectiveness through information sharing, suggested process improvements and effective implementation of change.
- Maintain a specialized working knowledge in assigned tasks and analysis of Unum’s products, services and business processes including, his/her specific business area, the issues and technical skills required to support the area.
- Communicate issues identified, proactively recommend the most appropriate/effective resolutions and present effectively to management.
- Work on and/or lead special projects that require research and analysis. May involve partnering with other business areas to identify and resolve issues
- Bachelors degree in Accounting with minimum GPA requirement 3.0
- CPA Eligibility – Must have 135 hours towards the 150 hours
- Bachelors degree in Finance with minimum GPA requirement of 3.0 may be considered if the applicant has an active plan to purse wither the CPA, CMA or CFA, and has had at least one internship or equivalent work experience in accounting.
- Intermediate to advanced EXCEL Skills.
- Demonstrated inclusive leadership through educational, professional, or life experiences
- Ability to act as a change agent by responding quickly and positively to change, and socializing change with others
- Adaptable and versatile and the ability to work with diverse groups of people
- A strategic, analytical, and creative thinker who can translate findings into insights and develop actionable plans for implementation
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to influence at all levels
- Ability to communicate effectively (both written and verbal)
- Bachelors or Masters in Accounting
- Currently pursuing CPA or CPA licensed
- Internship to 3 years of accounting experience
- General ledger systems and reporting tools experience