Per Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21-14.1 (Download PDF reader), Washington State employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by October 18th, 2021. As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 Vaccination as part of the hire process. Requests for medical and religious exemptions will be considered. If you have questions, please contact Careers@ecy.wa.gov with “COVID-19 Vaccination” in the subject line.
Keeping Washington Clean and Evergreen
The Information Technology Services Office (ITSO) is currently looking to fill an ITSO Business Analyst (IT Business Analyst-Journey) position. This position will be located in our Headquarters Building in Lacey, WA.
In this role you will independently provide business analysis for IT service delivery process improvement work efforts and agency-wide IT projects. This work includes applying in-depth business expertise and analytical processes to identify IT service delivery processes that need efficiencies. You will need to understand business drivers and collaborate with business and IT team members to improve processes and increase the efficiency of IT service delivery. The work also includes the planning, design and implementation of IT systems to meet the needs of the agency. This also involves significant technical writing to develop Request for Proposals (RFP), Decision Packages (DP), Project Charters and other project management artifacts requiring in-depth business analysis and technical writing skill.
The successful candidate will possess extensive IT Business Analysis knowledge and experience. The top applicant will have excellent people, negotiation, and communications skills, to include business analysis, technical writing, and facilitation experience. This position develops business analysis artifacts that are reviewed by senior IT, business and executive level staff. As such, the incumbent must possess strong technical writing and verbal communication skills.
Please Note: This is a project position that is funded until June 30, 2023.
Program Mission: The Information Technology Services Office (ITSO) is the central provider of strategic and tactical support for the use of Information Technology (IT) within Ecology. The mission of ITSO is to create and support useful technology services that adapt for the future and support Ecology’s mission.
Protecting Washington State’s environment for current and future generations is what we do every day at Ecology. We are a culture that is invested in making a difference. Join a team that is highly effective and collaborative, with leadership that embrace the value of people.
Ecology cares deeply about employee wellness; we go beyond traditional benefits, proudly offering:
- A healthy life/work balance by offering flexible schedules and telework options for most positions.
- An Infants at Work Program that is based on the long-term health values of infant-parent bonding and breastfeeding newborns.
- Continuous growth and development opportunities.
- A wellness program that offers education, fitness classes, and an agency-wide fondness for outdoor meetings.
- Opportunities to serve your community and make an impact through meaningful work.
Diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect (DEIR) are core values central to Ecology’s work. We strive to be a workplace where we are esteemed for sharing our authentic identities, while advancing our individual professional goals and collaborating to protect, preserve, and enhance the environment for current and future generations.
Diversity: We celebrate and appreciate diversity; our unique perspectives and abilities enrich us all and lead to innovative approaches and solutions.
Equity: We champion equity, recognizing that each of us need different things to thrive.
Inclusion: We intentionally create and hold space so that we all have meaningful opportunities to participate and contribute to Ecology’s work.
Respect: We treat each other with respect and dignity, acknowledging the inherent worth of our diverse perspectives and lived experiences, even in times of uncertainty and disagreement.
We believe that DEIR is both a goal and an action. We are on a journey, honoring our shared humanity and taking steps to demonstrate our commitment to a vision where each of us is heard, seen, and valued.
During Healthy Washington Roadmap to Recovery, employees are working a combination of in-office and/or telework based on position and business need. Ecology is following current state guidance regarding building occupancy, mask requirements, health screening questions before entry, and social distancing.
Application Timeline: This position will remain open until filled, with an initial screening date of September 20, 2021. In order to be considered for initial screening, please submit an application on or before September 19, 2021. The agency reserves the right to make an appointment any time after the initial screening date.
Section Mission: The ITSO Enterprise Portfolio Management & Architecture Section provides expert-level consulting and leadership in the areas of enterprise portfolio and project management, business analysis and IT architectural services.
What you’ll do:
The ITSO Business Analyst position is responsible for:
- Independently facilitates requirements gathering meetings and workshops across multiple IT teams, environmental or administrative programs.
- Independently analyzes and develops functional and non-functional requirements for IT process improvement work efforts or highly complex, medium to large-scale, enterprise information systems and infrastructure projects to include cost-benefit analysis; documents information systems requirements to include user acceptance criteria via detailed user stories and/or use
- Documents and organizes requirements so that they are testable and traceable
- Consults with staff and external partners to analyze technology needs and problems; analyzes and resolves highly complex problems involving multiple system integration.
- Develops business cases to describe the problem, its root causes and impacts, identifies gaps and shortcomings, and recommends solutions.
- Identifies the needs of stakeholder groups by applying Business Process Modeling (BPM) techniques to develop as-is and to-be process models.
- Uses Business Process Reengineering methods and Organizational Change Management (OCM) strategies
- Develops change management plans
- Defines key performance indicators (KPI)
- Identifies opportunities for improving business processes and assists in the preparation of proposals to develop new systems or to facilitate operational change.
- Leads the development of the business case, cost/benefit analysis and feasibility.
- Evaluates new and changing business or stakeholder requirements to assess their impact to the proposed solutions scope, cost, or schedule.
Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Information Technology (IT) or closely related field and two (2) years professional experience gained in the last four (4) years in business analysis of IT projects and/or agency-wide initiatives
An Associate’s degree in Computer Science, IT or closely related field; OR completion of a two (2) year accredited vocational training program in IT or related program and four (4) years professional experience listed above gained in the last eight (8) years in the requirements listed above.
Six (6) years professional experience gained in the last 10 years in the requirements listed above.
*Education or accredited vocational training in IT or related program will substitute year for year for experience for up to five (5) of the required six (6) years of experience.
All experience and education combinations that meet the requirements for this position:
We highly encourage you to apply even if you do not have some (or all) of the desired experience below.
- A Bachelor’s degree with a focus on Information Technology, Project Management, or business analysis or related field.
- Four years of business analysis or business architecture experience on IT projects that cross program or agency boundaries. Agile Project Management certification such as the Project Management Institute ACP or Scrum Master Certification.
- Certification of Capability in Business Analysis (CCBA) or as a Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) through the International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA), OR completion of a business analyst certification from a university or college.
Note: Having some (or all) of this desired experience may make your application more competitive in a highly competitive applicant pool.
Ecology seeks diverse applicants: We view diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect through a broad lens including race, ethnicity, class, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, immigration status, military background, language, education, life experience, physical disability, neurodiversity, and intersectional identities. Qualified candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Need an Accommodation in the application and/or screening process or this job announcement in an alternative format?
- Please call: (360) 407-6186 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist.
- If you are deaf or hard of hearing you can reach the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please e-mail email@example.com. Please do not send an email to this address to follow-up the status of your application. You can view the latest status of your application on your profile’s main page.
- If you are reading this announcement in print format, please enter the following URL to your search engine to apply: https://ecology.wa.gov/About-us/Get-to-know-us/Jobs-at-Ecology.
It’s in the applicant’s best interest to submit all of the documents listed below. Applications without these documents may be declined.
- Attach a resume outlining your professional experience and education.
- Attach a cover letter outlining your Business Analysis experience and training, and why you believe you would be a good fit for this position.
- Attach two (2) writing samples that you created related to your business analysis work on process improvement efforts or IT projects.
Please do NOT include your salary history. Wage/salary depends on qualifications or rules of promotion, if applicable.
For Your Privacy:
When attaching documents to your application (Resume, Cover Letter, Transcripts, DD-214, etc.):
- Please be sure to remove private information such as your social security number, date of birth, etc.
- Do not attach documents that are password protected, as these documents may not be reviewed and may cause errors within your application when downloaded.
Additional Application Instructions for Current Ecology Employees:
Please make sure to answer the agency-wide questions regarding permanent status as a classified employee within the Washington General Service or Washington Management Service. Do not forget to select Department of Ecology as a response to question 2, and type your personnel ID number for question 3. If you are not sure of your status or do not know your personnel ID number, please contact Human Resources.
The act of submitting application materials electronically is considered affirmation that the information is complete and truthful. The state may verify this information and any untruthful or misleading answers are cause for rejection of your application or dismissal if employed.
If you have specific questions about the position, please email Bernadette Williams at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not contact Bernadette to inquire about the status of your application.
To request the full position description: email email@example.com
Why work for Ecology?
As an agency, our mission is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington’s environment for current and future generations. We invest in our employees to create and sustain a working environment that encourages creative leadership, effective resource management, teamwork, professionalism and accountability.
Joining Ecology means becoming a part of a team committed to protecting and restoring Washington State’s environment. A career in public service allows you to help solve some of the most challenging problems facing our state, while keeping your health and financial security a priority. We combine one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation with a strong commitment to life/work balance.
Ecology employees may be eligible for the following:
Medical/Dental/Vision for employee & dependent(s), Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), Vacation, Sick, and other Leave*, 11 Paid Holidays per year*, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, Tuition Waiver, Long Term Disability & Life Insurance, Deferred Compensation Programs, Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP), Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA), Employee Assistance Program, Commute Trip Reduction Incentives (Download PDF reader), Combined Fund Drive, SmartHealth *See the Benefits tab in this announcement for more information
Student debt: how working for Ecology can help
The Department of Ecology is a qualifying employer for the Public Service Forgiveness Program (PSLF). See https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more details.
Collective Bargaining: This is a position covered by a bargaining unit for which the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) is the exclusive representative.
Equal Opportunity Employer: The Washington State Department of Ecology is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, veterans, military spouses or people with military status, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons needing accommodation in the application/testing process or this job announcement in an alternative format may call (360) 407-6186. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
Note: This recruitment may be used to fill other positions of the same job classification across the agency. Once all the position(s) from the recruitment announcement are filled, the recruitment may only be used to fill additional open positions for the next sixty (60) days.