Keeping Washington Clean and Evergreen
The Department of Ecology’s priority during the Covid-19 health crisis is to keep our staff, candidates, and the public safe. We are still hiring and encourage you to apply to open positions. The majority of our staff are currently working from home; we have transitioned to a virtual recruitment process, to include web-based interviews.
Are you looking for an opportunity to lead and innovate within a progressive, team-focused organization that values vision, strategic thinking, planning, customer service, enthusiasm, creativity and commitment?
Do you have passion for solving business challenges through the application of technology? Are you looking for an opportunity to innovate? Does working with bright, talented and passionate people energize you? Do you want to make a difference in the lives of Washingtonians for generations to come?
The Department of Ecology’s Information Technology Services Office (ITSO) is currently looking for an IT professional to join our team as the Senior O365/SharePoint Administrator (IT System Administration Senior). In this role, your mission will be to contribute to strategic and tactical planning in the areas of Office 365 implementation, SharePoint Farm Administration, implementation and operations of on premises solutions and cloud based services. By applying sound judgement, technical expertise, and management practices, you will ensure development, implementation, maintenance and optimization of essential systems and processes necessary to fulfill the Agency’s mission-critical business goals.
This position will be located in our Headquarters Building in Lacey, WA.
As a senior level administrator within the Infrastructure and Operations section of the Information Technology Services Office, you will ensure the resilience, availability and reliable operation of a large, diverse technical environment that supports a variety of IT and business systems and services. In addition, you will help support the infrastructure requirements of the entire agency across multiple sites throughout the state and including a large application development environment that includes development, testing and production operations.
We are looking for applicants who have a combined background in setting expectations and can guide skilled technical staff in successfully achieving objectives while also influencing and collaborating with other technical staff and key agency stakeholders.
This is a critical and demanding role that calls for an innovative, resourceful individual, as the systems and services your position supports are relied upon daily by over 1,700 employees based in 7 locations statewide.
The Information Technology Services Office (ITSO) is the central provider of strategic and tactical support for the use of Information Technology (IT) within Ecology. The mission of ITSO is to create and support useful technology services that adapt for the future and support Ecology’s mission.
Protecting Washington State’s environment for current and future generations is what we do every day at Ecology. We are a culture that is invested in making a difference. Join a team that is highly effective, collaborative, with leadership who embrace the value of people.
Ecology cares deeply about employee wellness; we go beyond traditional benefits, proudly offering:
- A healthy life/work balance by offering flexible schedules and telework options for most positions.
- An Infants at Work Program that is based on the long-term health values of infant-parent bonding and breastfeeding newborns.
- Continuous growth and development opportunities.
- A wellness program that offers education, and fitness classes; an agency-wide fondness for outdoor meetings.
- Opportunities to serve your community and make an impact through meaningful work.
Diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect (DEIR) are core values central to Ecology’s work. We strive to be a workplace where we are esteemed for sharing our authentic identities, while advancing our individual professional goals and collaborating to protect, preserve, and enhance the environment for current and future generations.
Diversity: We celebrate and appreciate diversity; our unique perspectives and abilities enrich us all and lead to innovative approaches and solutions.
Equity: We champion equity, recognizing that each of us need different things to thrive.
Inclusion: We intentionally create and hold space so that we all have meaningful opportunities to participate and contribute to Ecology’s work.
Respect: We treat each other with respect and dignity, acknowledging the inherent worth of our diverse perspectives and lived experiences, even in times of uncertainty and disagreement.
We believe that DEIR is both a goal and an action. We are on a journey, honoring our shared humanity and taking steps to demonstrate our commitment to a vision where each of us is heard, seen, and valued.
During Healthy Washington Roadmap to Recovery,employees are working a combination of in-office and/or telework based on position and business need. Ecology is maintaining less than maximum building occupancy, and requiring masks, health screening questions before entry, and social distancing.
Application Timeline: This position will remain open until filled, the next screening date will be August 16, 2021. In order to be considered for next screening, please submit an application on or before August 15, 2021. The agency reserves the right to make an appointment any time after the initial screening date.
Local efforts… Diverse people… Statewide impacts
Section Mission: ITSO’s Infrastructure and Operations (INO) section delivers and operates the technologies and services that enable Ecology staff to perform and improve their work and deliver innovative services to the residents of the State of Washington. INO extends the ITSO mission in the following ways:
- Be responsible and accountable for the delivery and operation of reliable technologies and services that make the everyday work of Ecology staff easier. Our goal is to deliver an Exceptional Customer Experience.
- Improve our processes, increase our efficiency, and raise the quality of our service.
- Be proactive; plan and execute.
- Be clear about what it is the customer needs and deliver on that need to the best of our ability.
- Monitor and measure our progress and use that information to improve our processes.
- Make informed, fact-based decisions.
We are very interested in your successful experience in these areas:
- Provide senior level technical support for the Office 365 Platform (Power Platform, SharePoint Online, and other Office 365 Apps) Service Requests and Incidents.
- Provide subject matter expertise in SharePoint Online and SharePoint 2019.
- Technical operations of the Office 365 Online environments. Including design, implementation, maintenance, administration, and support.
- Participates in the development/updating of the technical roadmaps and the successful design and implementation of solutions.
- Perform technical on-boarding and support activities for a variety of SaaS based services that the agency invests in.
- Creation of standard operating procedures, training documentation, and consultation to team members to improve customer service.
- Reviewing current configurations and standards to identify, design, plan, recommend, and implement improvements.
- Writing scripts for automation, reporting, and standardization of operational processes.
- Participate in the development and updating of technical roadmaps and the design and implementation of solutions.
- Day-to-day operational support to ensure high availability and optimal performance.
- Troubleshoots and resolves complex technical problems.
- Serve as technical lead on project teams and act as a resource for direction, training, and guidance for other staff.
Our selected applicant will:
- Possess sound decision-making skills based on the best information available
- Be adept at collaborating with both business and technical personnel
- Be adaptable and receptive to new ideas
- Seek out and act on opportunities to improve, streamline, and re-invent work processes
- Be able to prioritize competing requests with an eye towards security and minimizing downtime
- Pursue efficiency and economy in the use of resources
- Encourage team unity by sharing information or expertise, solving problems together, and putting team success ahead of individuals’ success.
- Be able to meet with stakeholders, vendors, offsite personnel and/or management.
Seven (7) years recent senior to expert level professional experience in one or more of the following IT disciplines: O365 administration, SharePoint administration, cloud based services management, web platform management, SaaS administration management.
An Associate’s degree in Computer Science; Information Technology OR completion of a two year accredited vocational training program in information technology or related program.
Five (5) years recent senior level professional experience in one or more of the following IT disciplines: O365 administration, SharePoint administration, cloud based services administration and management, web platform management, SaaS administration management.
A Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Information Technology (IT) or closely related field.
Three (3) years recent senior level professional experience in one or more of the following IT disciplines: O365 administration, SharePoint administration, cloud based services administration and management, web platform management, SaaS administration management.
*Education or accredited vocational training as listed above will substitute year for year for experience.
Note: Experience must include one (1) year of leading IT professionals or consulting as a technical lead, and can be obtained concurrently to other professional experience listed above.
Special Requirements/Conditions of Employment:
A valid driver’s license is required.
Ecology seeks diverse applicants: We view diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect through a broad lens including race, ethnicity, class, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, immigration status, military background, language, education, life experience, physical disability, neurodiversity, and intersectional identities. Qualified candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Need an Accommodation in the application and/or screening process or this job announcement in an alternative format?
- Please call: (360) 407-6186 or email: email@example.com and we will be happy to assist.
- If you are deaf or hard of hearing you can reach the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not send an email to this address to follow-up the status of your application. You can view the latest status of your application on your profile’s main page.
- If you are reading this announcement in print format, please enter the following URL to your search engine to apply: https://ecology.wa.gov/About-us/Get-to-know-us/Jobs-at-Ecology.
It’s in the applicant’s best interest to submit all of the documents listed below. Applications without these documents may be declined.
- A cover letter describing why you are interested in this position
- A resume outlining your experience and education (if applicable) as it relates to the minimum qualifications of this position
- A Writing Sample – please attach a technical report or paper that you produced, as a verification of your communication style and skills.
- Please provide at least three professional references.
Please to do NOT include your salary history. Wage/salary depends on qualifications or rules of promotion, if applicable.
For Your Privacy:
When attaching documents to your application (Resume, Cover Letter, Transcripts, DD-214, etc.):
- Please be sure to remove private information such as your social security number, date of birth, etc.
- Do not attach documents that are password protected, as these documents may not be reviewed and may cause errors within your application when downloaded.
Additional Application Instructions for Current Ecology Employees:
Please make sure to answer the agency-wide questions regarding permanent status as a classified employee within the Washington General Service or Washington Management Service. Do not forget to select Department of Ecology as a response to question 2, and type your personnel ID number for question 3. If you are not sure of your status or do not know your personnel ID number, please contact Human Resources.
The act of submitting application materials electronically is considered affirmation that the information is complete and truthful. The state may verify this information and any untruthful or misleading answers are cause for rejection of your application or dismissal if employed.
If you have specific questions about the position, please email Tod Randle at: email@example.com. Please do not contact Tod to inquire about the status of your application.
To request the full position description: email firstname.lastname@example.org
Why work for Ecology?
As an agency, our mission is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington’s environment for current and future generations. We invest in our employees to create and sustain a working environment that encourages creative leadership, effective resource management, teamwork, professionalism and accountability.
Joining Ecology means becoming a part of a team committed to protecting and restoring Washington State’s environment. A career in public service allows you to help solve some of the most challenging problems facing our state, while keeping your health and financial security a priority. We combine one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation with a strong commitment to life/work balance.
Ecology employees may be eligible for the following:
Medical/Dental/Vision for employee & dependent(s), Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), Vacation, Sick, and other Leave*, 11 Paid Holidays per year*, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, Tuition Waiver, Long Term Disability & Life Insurance, Deferred Compensation Programs, Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP), Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA), Employee Assistance Program, Commute Trip Reduction Incentives (Download PDF reader), Combined Fund Drive, SmartHealth *See the Benefits tab in this announcement for more information
Student debt: how working for Ecology can help
The Department of Ecology is a qualifying employer for the Public Service Forgiveness Program (PSLF). See https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more details.
Collective Bargaining: This is a position covered by a bargaining unit for which the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) is the exclusive representative.
Equal Opportunity Employer: The Washington State Department of Ecology is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, veterans, military spouses or people with military status, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons needing accommodation in the application/testing process or this job announcement in an alternative format may call (360) 407-6186. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
Note: This recruitment may be used to fill other positions of the same job classification across the agency. Once all the position(s) from the recruitment announcement are filled, the recruitment may only be used to fill additional open positions for the next sixty (60) days.