LAUNCH Global Commodity Manager
- Milpitas, CA
At Western Digital, our vision is to power global innovation and push the boundaries of technology to make what you thought was once impossible, possible.
At our core, Western Digital is a company of problem solvers. People achieve extraordinary things given the right technology. For decades, we’ve been doing just that. Our technology helped people put a man on the moon.
We are a key partner to some of the largest and highest growth organizations in the world. From energizing the most competitive gaming platforms, to enabling systems to make cities safer and cars smarter and more connected, to powering the data centers behind many of the world’s biggest companies and public cloud, Western Digital is fueling a brighter, smarter future.
Binge-watch any shows, use social media or shop online lately? You’ll find Western Digital supporting the storage infrastructure behind many of these platforms. And, that flash memory card that captures and preserves your most precious moments? That’s us, too.
We offer an expansive portfolio of technologies, storage devices and platforms for business and consumers alike. Our data-centric solutions are comprised of the Western Digital®, G-Technology™, SanDisk® and WD® brands.
Today’s exceptional challenges require your unique skills. It’s You & Western Digital. Together, we’re the next BIG thing in data.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities:
In this position, the individual will assume a role in the Global Capital Equipment procurement organization in the US and focus on supporting factory capital needs and focus on identifying, developing, and managing relationships with existing and potential suppliers to meet the established cost, quality, and delivery targets. S/he will collaborate with Engineering, Operations, and Quality to identify and drive cost reduction / avoidance activities. The individual must possess exceptional interpersonal / team building skills including ability to communicate with all levels of the organization and participate on some multi-functional teams. Additionally, through data analysis, the individual will calculate, build and present reports including Capital KPI’s, Monthly/Quarterly area spend and savings or supplier Open PO’s.
The individual also will be expected to drive change and respond to shifting priorities and business needs by identifying, developing, and promoting new technologies, methods and processes. The individual will present opportunities, analysis, observations and recommendations to the Senior Manager, after working with all stakeholders globally, to address all aspects of procurement management for capital, goods and services and requires domestic or global expertise of assigned commodities.
In this position, the individual will work with all stakeholders to address all aspects of procurement management for services, goods, including procurement support, supplier management, supply-base strategy, market trends assessment, pricing, etc.
• Understand business service needs, request for quotation, negotiate pricing, commercial and supply agreements with suppliers.
• Aid with negotiation with suppliers to achieve quarterly and yearly cost reduction.
• Negotiate legal contracts such as NDA, TPA with suppliers.
• Coordinate procurement activities with manufacturing, quality, planning and engineering departments.
• Monitor commodity market trends; effectively reflect market dynamic in terms of supply, cost, etc.
• Perform cost analysis for designated commodities.
• Collaborate with internal stakeholders to drive cost reduction / avoidance activities for all related procurement services.
• Provide procurement advice and counsel to functional management on critical sourcing issues.
• Present alternatives and risks associated with potential sourcing decisions.
• Prepare detailed business/financial analysis which leads to final sourcing decisions.
• Manage a category that has a direct impact on company’s business revenue and profit, impacts and implements procurement business plans in support of major products or programs; monitors and measures the results to ensure the organizations objectives of quality, cost, delivery and profitability are achieved.
• Develop moderately complex dollar/risk proposals/contracts; and integrates highly technical concepts and objectives into contractual terms and conditions.
• Through data analysis, the individual will calculate, build and present reports including Capital KPI’s, Monthly/Quarterly area spend and savings or supplier Open PO’s.
Education and Experience
- Current students graduating December 2021 – June 2022
- Bachelor’s degree
- Engineering degree preferred
- Contract Negotiation / Vendor Mgmt. / Influencing skills a plus
- Experience and expertise with sourcing & contracting ERP tools (SAP and/or Oracle) a plus
- Ability to work well in a high-pace dynamic environment, handle multiple projects simultaneously, and ensure task completion and deadlines are met as required
- Demonstrated skills in negotiating and formulating technology contracts, understanding cost models and various price structures, management of contractual, IP and labor law risks
- Strong project management, organizational, and analytical skills required
- Excellent team facilitation and presentation skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications: Excel, Word, PowerPoint
Western Digital thrives on the power and potential of diversity. As a global company, we believe the most effective way to embrace the diversity of our customers and communities is to mirror it from within. We believe the fusion of various perspectives results in the best outcomes for our employees, our company, our customers, and the world around us. We are committed to an inclusive environment where every individual can thrive through a sense of belonging, respect and contribution.
Western Digital is committed to offering opportunities to applicants with disabilities and ensuring all candidates can successfully navigate our careers website and our hiring process. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to advise us of your accommodation request. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.